Gibson Brands Forums

DVD audio to MP3

EVOL!

Can anyone recommend an application to convert the audio from DVDs to audio files like MP3s? I have a few music DVDs like The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus and Monterey Pop that I want to convert some of the performances to audio files to load onto my iPod.

I got a little converter that runs from the earphone "out" of a boom box into the USB port of the computer. I record using Audacity although others can work quite well. It's still two-channel stereo.

Then it's a matter of proper levels for recording so it will work on the computer speakers or wherever else you might play Mp3.

The converter jobbie ran well under $100. With the appropriate wiring conversions it works with a dvd player or cd player or whatever - or the line out, albeit mono - from my SS amp or ... a PA with stereo out. Don't most DVD players have a headphone plug? That's it. I s'pose the audio in on a sound card also would work if you have recording software that then will export to mp3.

m

I have to convert all kinds of files at work into different format and usually have pretty good luck with free apps on the internet that are made to do the specific conversion I want. They are usually pretty fast too.

heres one for dvd to MP3. Haven't tried it but if it doesn't work well just do a search for dvd to mp3 converter and you will find others.... My link

Andy

m

I was hoping to use a software solution, but ended up doing it manually in real time; play the DVD on my laptop and run an eighth inch audio cable into my iMac.

btw I owe you a reply, brother. Checked out your YouTube stuff and liked it a lot. Don't tell me those are 9 gauge strings unless they are on a fat jazz box.

Evol... Yupper on the 9-42. <grin> But also yupper that it's on a box with ES175 specs.

I could get almost similar response from the 8-38 on the early 1970s Guild S100c that's an SG type, by the way. I think playing technique, amp settings, etc., play every bit as big a role in "tone" as strings. No way would I hit these the way I flatpicked the heavies in the '60s playing rock. No way I could match a truly pure jazz tone - but... close enough for my ears.

I think the top cupla strings could be a little more solid sounding if they were heavier, but as I've said, given the pretty light hand I use, I'm happier with the light strings. Others feel otherwise.

The recordings were done as I suggested, line out from the amp, through the little "convert to usb" connector into the computer and Audacity. Basically what you hear is what came outa a pretty basic amp.

At home I also have a Firefox add-on that records anything that runs through the computer's sound system. It ain't hifi, but could record directly from a DVD, I think. Haven't tried it though. I'm also not sure "Freecorder toolbar" is still a "free" add-on any more.

So... something like that could be a software-only sort of solution. At best it's fine for cheapie computer speakers and headphones. Ain't going to be audiophile quality, but... good enough to file audios. <grin>

m

if you are using a mac, check out Handbrake and VLC. not sure how well/if this works under windows too.

I was doing this recently on my Mac. Played the DVD using VLC, then recorded the audio in real time using WireTap Pro. This has the advantage (for me) of saving as .m4a, which is the "native iTunes (AAC) format.

It's a bit like the old days, "copying" a LP to a cassette (remember them?????).

It's a bit like the old days, "copying" a LP to a cassette (remember them?????).

Yes (does that date us?). I still have a nice cache of vinyl EPs and LPs as well as my TDK PRO SM cassettes. Man, high quality tape sounds so good. I love the way it saturates. My 4trk is still my weapon of choice when doing home recording.

Archived