Gibson Brands Forums

The Official What Are You Listening To Right Now Thread...

ShredAstaire

36 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

What bird dress does she have on today. 

No idea. The album came out in the 90s I think. If I remember correctly, she was rocking that slightly confused Eskimo look that the media latched onto. Which is fairly original, I'll give her that. 

8 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

"A New York State of mind" by Billy Joel.

Got the music today and am learning to play it. Great song.

RBSinTo

I thought you played guitar not the piano? Or do you tickle the ivory?

Billy up to 52nd Street was great stuff. Glass Houses (has some good stuff), but after that he bores me. I saw him in '86 about 3 weeks after I saw Elton John. Elton was great, Billy was just okay and played way to may songs of that fake Doo Wop album he made.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I thought you played guitar not the piano? Or do you tickle the ivory?

Billy up to 52nd Street was great stuff. Glass Houses (has some good stuff), but after that he bores me. I saw him in '86 about 3 weeks after I saw Elton John. Elton was great, Billy was just okay and played way to may songs of that fake Doo Wop album he made.

Chief,

No, I don't, and in fact, can't play the piano. Strictly a guitar guy, although now that one of our Grand-daughters is taking ukelele lessons (in addition to piano lessons) that I sponsor and sit in on, I'm learning a bit of it as well.

Sadly, I don't have the legs to wear a hula skirt.

But I digress. If I like a song, I'll get whatever music is available for it, as long as it shows chords, and learn to play it. Having to learn to play those really exotic and finger-spraining augmented, diminished and demolished chords has made me a better ( but still crappy) musician.  But I play only for my own enjoyment so that's ok.

And as far as artists and groups are concerned, with the exception of a handful, I'm a fan of  individual songs only, rather than the music of the persons who write/sing/play them. So I'll like a tune or two by whomever, and not bother or even listen to  anything else they've done. Odd, I guess, but that's just my musical taste.

RBSinTo

22 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

No, I don't, and in fact, can't play the piano. Strictly a guitar guy, although now that one of our Grand-daughters is taking ukelele lessons (in addition to piano lessons) that I sponsor and sit in on, I'm learning a bit of it as well.

Sadly, I don't have the legs to wear a hula skirt.

But I digress. If I like a song, I'll get whatever music is available for it, as long as it shows chords, and learn to play it. Having to learn to play those really exotic and finger-spraining augmented, diminished and demolished chords has made me a better ( but still crappy) musician.  But I play only for my own enjoyment so that's ok.

And as far as artists and groups are concerned, with the exception of a handful, I'm a fan of  individual songs only, rather than the music of the persons who write/sing/play them. So I'll like a tune or two by whomever, and not bother or even listen to  anything else they've done. Odd, I guess, but that's just my musical taste.

RBSinTo

Songs for me are when I (rarely) listen to the radio and can not control what is played. Usually when I am driving or at my house I listen to albums in their entirety.

• Like 1

Can't do that 'cause the CD player in my car needs repair.  And for some time now, don't drive far enough to have time enough to listen to albums in entirety,  but getting the CD fixed would help in getting to hear what I like more often.  As for the radio, well, if not for college and public stations(one public station here dividing it's time between classical and jazz) I'd only listen to a news station while driving anywhere.

Whitefang

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, mihcmac said:

The expressions on this advanced classical musicians face that missed the progressive rock era , hearing "Close to the Edge" for the first time, are really funny..

Maybe he should have tried listening to it sober.....?  [cool]

I wonder.... first;

Who IS this "advanced classical composer" and...

What has he ever composed?    and

How does it make him any authority on anything?

Sepiatone

23 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I just listened to that. Damn funny. Who doesn't like good head?

They famously played with GG for a while and recorded "Tough fxxking shxt" (great song!) and "Slxts in the city" with him. Also on Spotify. 

Edited by Pinch

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Maybe he should have tried listening to it sober.....?  [cool]

I wonder.... first;

Who IS this "advanced classical composer" and...

What has he ever composed?    and

How does it make him any authority on anything?

Sepiatone

I would tend to think of him as classical snob that though Rock was beneath him, but was genuinely surprised at how all of the complex parts of "Close To The Edge" came together and worked.

40 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I would tend to think of him as classical snob that though Rock was beneath him, but was genuinely surprised at how all of the complex parts of "Close To The Edge" came together and worked.

That is THE classic of all classic Prog Rock albums. Relayer is the business too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Natural said:

The Live Adventures Of Mike Bloomfield And Al Kooper

Been a fave of mine long time.  [wink]   Wouldn't mind having an 8x10 print of that Norman Rockwell cover.

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Tchaikovsky 2nd Symphony 4th movement (also reading his biography).

Good listening.  But tragic story.  [sad]

Whitefang

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That is THE classic of all classic Prog Rock albums. Relayer is the business too.

Yes was more than progressive, I think, creating antagonistic components and making them sound like they belonged together. The early Prog's like Captain Beefheart, Zappa, Arthur Brown, Soft Machine, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater to name few, I should include Todd in there as well, all went to different extremes experimenting on breaking the rules and making it work.  🙂

Edited by mihcmac