Gibson Brands Forums

The Official What Are You Listening To Right Now Thread...

ShredAstaire

1 hour ago, mihcmac said:

Yes was more than progressive, I think, creating antagonistic components and making them sound like they belonged together. The early Prog's like Captain Beefheart, Zappa, Arthur Brown, Soft Machine, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater to name few, I should include Todd in there as well, all went to different extremes experimenting on breaking the rules and making it work.  🙂

When Todd puts his mind to it he can do anything. He unfortunately has so much stuff that makes me go WTF Todd. I guess this is for you and your 5000 devoted super loyal fans that will tolerate anything you do. The first five or six Todd albums were killer. Then it was hit and miss. Same with Utopia. He make great ones like Opps . . . Wrong Planet and then  awful stuff like Ra, or hey lets do a total Beatles parody album. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

When Todd puts his mind to it he can do anything. He unfortunately has so much stuff that makes me go WTF Todd. I guess this is for you and your 5000 devoted super loyal fans that will tolerate anything you do. The first five or Six Todd albums were killer. Then it was hit and miss. Same with Utopia. He make great ones like Opps . . . Wrong Planet and then stuff I can do stuff like Ra, or hey lets do a total Beatles parody album. 

Todd does some unusual things that can make you scratch your head, but thats the point. It kind of reminds me of the first time I went to a Crimson concert, Robin Trower opened for them, after Crimson started to play the Trower fans started to leave.

Fortunately for me, I like both sides of the coin...

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Natural said:

Yeah, me too.  Live Adventures... AND Super Session.

Ah, yes.  "Super Session".   It was the most coveted LP (in my "neckka" )  when it came out.  Most of the "counterculture" were familiar with Kooper and Bloomfield from their  work with Bob Dylan along with Kooper's newly formed Blood Sweat and Tears and of course, Bloomfield's work with Paul Butterfield.   And in the pre FM rock station days, we all dug Stills and that cool Buffalo Springfield tune. [wink]

20 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Yes was more than progressive, I think, creating antagonistic components and making them sound like they belonged together. The early Prog's like Captain Beefheart, Zappa, Arthur Brown, Soft Machine, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater to name few, I should include Todd in there as well, all went to different extremes experimenting on breaking the rules and making it work.  🙂

I never thought of Zappa as "prog" (echh, hate that abbreviation)  but more as "advanced" or Avant-Garde"  and off the left field wall.  [wink]   Arthur Brown to me, came off as just a novelty  and I have no idea what Beefheart was trying to do.  Just never was my "cuppa".  And as for early  progressive-rock bands, I wonder why you failed to mention THE NICE.  [wink]  And the genre was more attempts to blend rock, jazz and some classical components into one mix.  And YES was one of the bands that boasted not only a gathering of excellent musicians, but equally excellent composition, instrumentation and lyrical quality instead of just resting on the laurels of studio tricks.   I didn't find any of their work (up until "Topographic Oceans")  to be "antagonistic".  I guess another that could be tacked to that bunch would be  Brian Auger and the Trinity.

Whitefang

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Ah, yes.  "Super Session".   It was the most coveted LP (in my "neckka" )  when it came out.  Most of the "counterculture" were familiar with Kooper and Bloomfield from their  work with Bob Dylan along with Kooper's newly formed Blood Sweat and Tears and of course, Bloomfield's work with Paul Butterfield.   And in the pre FM rock station days, we all dug Stills and that cool Buffalo Springfield tune. [wink]

I never thought of Zappa as "prog" (echh, hate that abbreviation)  but more as "advanced" or Avant-Garde"  and off the left field wall.  [wink]   Arthur Brown to me, came off as just a novelty  and I have no idea what Beefheart was trying to do.  Just never was my "cuppa".  And as for early  progressive-rock bands, I wonder why you failed to mention THE NICE.  [wink]  And the genre was more attempts to blend rock, jazz and some classical components into one mix.  And YES was one of the bands that boasted not only a gathering of excellent musicians, but equally excellent composition, instrumentation and lyrical quality instead of just resting on the laurels of studio tricks.   I didn't find any of their work (up until "Topographic Oceans")  to be "antagonistic".  I guess another that could be tacked to that bunch would be  Brian Auger and the Trinity.

Whitefang

I don't think there is a single term that will cover the progressive advanced avant-guarde fusion jazz-rock groups that really fits, can't put them all into one box and they tend to be very different. There are so many of them that perhaps a another way to describe them like "Groups Whose Music Cover Bands Do Not Play". Anyway, this started with examining the components of a 16 minute song that theoretically shouldn't have gotten air time, but did. "Close To The Edge" got time on the air outside of album hour and continued to amaze us.. 🙂

Edited by mihcmac

There is a reissue CD of "Super Session" with extra tracks.  Some great Bloomfield on it.

And on Spotify there is a lot of Bloomfield I hadn't heard before, including the rest of "Live Adventures of" and lots more.

Listening to trumpeter Donald Byrd earlier, one of those Blue Note boxes with all the albums on.  He did the 1st version of "Cristo Redentor".

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I never thought of Zappa as "prog" (echh, hate that abbreviation)  but more as "advanced" or Avant-Garde"  and off the left field wall. .

Whitefang

The only way to describe Zappa's music is it's Zappa. But Avant-Garde could definitely be used for a lot of the early stuff.  Who else would write a song about harvesting dental floss in Montana on a tiny horse, with Zircon encrusted tweezers?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 9:32 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

The only way to describe Zappa's music is it's Zappa. But Avant-Garde could definitely be used for a lot of the early stuff.  Who else would write a song about harvesting dental floss in Montana on a tiny horse, with Zircon encrusted tweezers?

No doubt, the same guy who'd sing about a girl named "Suzy Creamcheese" ,  Hungry Freaks  and the Brain Police.  [wink]

Whitefang

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Jimmy Smith - "The Sermon" CD.

Great session with Lee Morgan, Lou Donaldson, Kenny Burrell and more.

The new John McLaughlin - "Liberation Time" - under 37 minutes long but he's still ripping off the solos and it bursts out of the speakers. 

Edited by jdgm

• 2 weeks later...

Miles is good.  Reminding me to give another listen to "B-itches Brew".   Been a few years since he last time.  But right now, still loading my 6-disc CD player with 6 compilation discs and hitting "random".  [wink]

My daughter said it's just like Forrest Gump's  proverbial  box of "cho****s"....

"You never know what you're gonna git."  [cool]

Whitefang

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

This time of year I often put six of the over 50 Christmas CDs I have in my carousel CD player and hit "random".  Then go about my business. [wink]

Whitefang

Yeah, I’ve been listening to a lot of Christmas music too.  Heard a couple Dean Martin songs in the mix.   Incredibly smooth and expressive voice.

• 9 months later...

Resurrecting this excellent thread once more.

I dig jazz as everyone knows.....nice.   [laugh] 

Miles Davis - Bootleg series vol 7, CBS 1982-85.  You can hear why they didn't release these tracks but it's far better than I expected.  There's quite a lot of rock/funk blues and the 3rd CD is the best -  Montreal concert 1983.  Guitarists variously are Mclaughlin (one track),  Stern and Scofield.  Speaking of whom -

Sco-Mule.  Scofield in full fusion god mode, wailing as the Mule pound along beneath him.  There are some mighty exchanges with Warren Haynes although I have to note that Allen Woodys intonation is occasionally...hmm....perhaps he was pressing down too hard in his understandable excitement?

Jim Hall Trio - Live San Francisco 1986.  Scofield, Metheny, Frisell, Mike Stern are just some of  the players who studied with Hall.  This 2CD set is a radio broadcast  so a bit compressed but I've never heard anyone play chordally as modern and accomplished as Jim Hall did.  How can anyone know and apply that much?  He was a total master.   You can hear where Stern got a lot of his chord stuff.

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme Live in Seattle 1965.   A remastered mono tape which IMO should never have been released, despite the rave reviews.  From a 2-mic mono recording, most of it is the drums and piano and that's after some of the most advanced post-production etc known to man.  You can hear the saxophones only because Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders and guest Carlos Ward played so incredibly loud all the time just to be heard over Elvin Jones and McCoy Tyner who were playing incredibly loud just to be heard over the saxophones.  I mean it's good, unique, but collectors only. 

I'll be contibuting to this thread again in future.  What are you digging right now?

[thumbup]

Edited by jdgm