Gibson Brands Forums

a little new guy help please....

randall ace

hi...Im randall from ohio , Im new to the world of owning / playing guitars , but not to music , my dad was in a few big bands in the late 60's and 70's ,they had a few hits, and he was a lead guitar player , so i grew up around this type of thing and have always wanted to learn to play like my dad does . Not to long ago i was told that talent such as it takes to play guitar runs in families, so i am picking up a guitar to try my hand at this . Which brings me to why i am here . I just bought a gibson epiphone strat copy off of craigslist . I dont know much about guitars, but bought this one to learn how to play on . The guy i got it from told me this is an older model . I ve looked it over high and low and cant find a serial number anywhere. the head says " epiphone" , and there is a little bolted on plaque that says "gibson" , the body color is very unique, its a black with a yellowish sunbust type look to it . i will have photos up soon , and would love any help or information you fine folks wish to share on what i have here , and where to find the serial number ...

thanks in advance

randall ace

** the silver plaque at the base of the neck on the back just says epiphone - no serial number ... 8(

hi... i got nothing but the guitar .....the back of the head has the word "used" engraved into it at the very tip .......

Hi and welcome.

the serial might have been on a sticker on the back of the head, that just came off.

Did you get the original warrenty card or any paperwork with it?

You have an Epiphone FAT-210. Mid 1990's-early 2000's model. The S-Series (including the FAT-210) was discontinued in 2004.

Often the serial number was on a sticker on the heel of the neck. Some models had it engraved onto the neck plate. Without the serial there is no way to tell the exact year of the guitar, but from the headstock and pickup configuration, it is definitely a mid 90's to 2004 model.

Also, I can tell you that your guitar was made at the Samick plant in Korea, as were all of the Epiphone strat guitars.

hi... i got nothing but the guitar .....the back of the head has the word "used" engraved into it at the very tip .......

That means it was a factory 2nd...probably some type of finish flaw or something minor that kept it from being sold as new or in perfect condition. Used or 2nd guitars are typically just as good as a 1st. I had a Gibson SG marked 2nd because of some paint runs on the back of the headstock. Other than that it was perfect.

That means it was a factory 2nd...probably some type of finish flaw or something minor that kept it from being sold as new or in perfect condition. Used or 2nd guitars are typically just as good as a 1st. I had a Gibson SG marked 2nd because of some paint runs on the back of the headstock. Other than that it was perfect.

- thanks for all your information ... 8)

- i paid 50 dollars, i got a strap and a soft bag/case - think i got a good deal on it ?

great deal, search the case for a sticker.

ok, went thru the case with a fine tooth comb , no sticker...8(

im very excited to learn to play ... i dont know the first thing about how to do this , but i went to a buddy here and got his old how to play type dvd that he used to start .....looks like ultra basic stuff .

ok, went thru the case with a fine tooth comb , no sticker...8(

im very excited to learn to play ... i dont know the first thing about how to do this , but i went to a buddy here and got his old how to play type dvd that he used to start .....looks like ultra basic stuff .

what do these usually go for ?

ive been a huge fan of alot of different types of music ,thru my life, but ive recently discovered a talented artist that blows me away , his work is pure genius , and very moving.... i dont quite go for the presentation , or the backstory he has crafted for himself, but the talent and genius is undeniable.... his name is buckethead .....

- thanks for all your information ... 8)

- i paid 50 dollars, i got a strap and a soft bag/case - think i got a good deal on it ?

Absolutely. A gig bag alone is at least $20 new. But yeah, $50 is good. An average price for a FAT-210 is anywhere from $75-$150 tops, depending on the condition. The downside of these guitars is that they have laminated bodies. They are comparable to a Squier Bullet or Affinity, but not made of basswood or agathis like the Squires. I'll take a lam body over those two woods any day. Another nice thing about the Epiphone strats are the necks. Very well made and a great feel to them. The lower end Squier necks feel cheap to me. But the Epiphone S-Series necks are a little beefier and higher quality. Very easy to learn on as long as your guitar is set up properly.

Have fun with your new git! And good luck to you!

I'll be happy to try and answer any other questions you may have.

You are going to want to change the strings (assuming they arent new), adjust the truss rod and set the bridge height. I'm not good at explaining this stuff, so here is a link to our DIY thread made by member Animalfarm.

DIY Thread

Look for "Guitar Setup/Truss Rod Adjustment" - its about halfway down the first post. There are several links to tips and instructions on how to set up your guitar. If you are unsure of anything, the wonerful people here can most likely assist you.

Have fun with your new git! And good luck to you!

I'll be happy to try and answer any other questions you may have.

Ahem.....

1. What… is your name?

2. What… is your quest?

3. What… is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

[biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

RANDALLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!

942659_c71e_625x1000-1.jpg

how do i set it up properly ? ?

As per RTH, hit the DIY. You should find a thread that

you can relate to - either printed text, or video, depending

on the learning style that best suits you. Feel free to ask

any questions you feel necessary! We Likes to Help!

RTH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWS8Mg-JWSg&feature=related

Thats a nice guitar. It is a copy of a Fender Stratocaster, which is probably the worlds most well known and copied electric guitar. The headstock on your guitar is what is known as a "batwing" because it looks something like a bat's wing. Sir, what kind of amplifier are you using ? Do you have any effects pedals such as a wah-wah pedal or fuzz box ? Just curious. Good luck with learning. If you keep with it, you will find that learning how to play the guitar is a life long process. Cool guitar for $50.00. I would certainly say you got a very good deal indeed.

Congrats on the new guitar. I actually just won a similar one on ebay for $100. Haven't received it yet.

I would recommend learning a few basic chords. This article was helpful for me when I started playing (which was only about five months ago) http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200e.htm I was really anxious to learn a song when I started so, I found the easiest one I could find and learned it fairly quickly: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/judy_garland/somewhere_over_the_rainbow_ver2_tab.htm I admit it's a pretty lame song to play on an electric guitar, but it helped keep me motivated.

I would also learn and practice some scales. The blues scale for example worked well for me to start. http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/blues/index.php

I'm sure some people here have better suggestions, but for me this worked really well. I pretty much did nothing but play the same chords over and over and over, as well as the scales. Just keep switching between chords and it will keep getting easier. I would sit on my couch watching tv and playing scales. After about three months of that I decided to try learning another song. And I did, pretty easily in fact. Again, this is just what worked for me, and after only five months I'm really happy with my progress. Another great site is Songsterr. Makes learning songs incredibly easy.

crust - for now i only have the pratice amp i got off craigslist .... but ....my dads gonna give me one of his gibson firebirds, and one of his marshall amp's , when they pass thru here again ..( he is excited that im giving this a try i guess)

Archived