Gibson Brands Forums

L-48 Acoustic

northlander30

Hello I am doing some research for my dad on a Gibson L-48 acoustic he acquired from my grandfather back in the early 70's. Now I am a guitar player as well and have been playing for nearly 34 years and this guitar was given to me earlier today to do some work on it. As the keys have disintegrated and I have replaced them with the Kluson deluxe vintage replacement keys for these and other guitars like it. I am most interested in finding out when this guitar was made. I have searched Gibson serial numbers but cannot find this serial number. The number inside the F hole says V7374-23. Someone told me a long time ago that they thought this guitar was made in 1950. I know this guitar is one of the lesser quality or affordable guitars Gibson made back in the day, not as prestige as the L50 or L5 or 7. I have only recently found out that these guitars were made of EITHER a laminated Mahogany top or a solid spruce top and or laminated mahogany back and sides and solid mahogany back and sides. I really don't have any way to tell whether it is a solid top or not, but it does sound good and the action is fantastic on it.

Anyway enough rambling any help you can give me on this relic please let me know.

Thanks

Ian

Thanks guys! 1956 is still a good year lol. Not as old as I thought it was but hey it is still a family heirloom and will be mine some day. 40 years old and still hoping for that one guitar daddy has lol. I posted a video on You Tube earlier tonight once I finished doing the necessary work to it. If interested it can be seen here.

Thanks!

Ian

The L-48 would have a laminated mahogany top and sides and a laminated maple or mahogany back from 1957 onwards, according to the Gruhns Guide to Vintage Guitars.

See also oldest clearly visible catalog from our archive from 1958 attached.

Hope this helps ![biggrin]

post-15276-053577800 1298553161_thumb.jpg

Archived