Gibson Brands Forums

Dirty Fingers not so powerfull in SG

The Claw

I added a set of dirty fingers in my SG bridge position....I wired it correctly, the green and white wire are soldered together and taped off.....

It does not seem as near as hot as they are said to be. I have Burstbucker 3's in a Les Paul BFG, and they sound the same level.

I checked the resistance of the coils, in the standard humbucking config they are in series and read about 16 K ohms, the other pickup in my SG Neck, not sure what it is reads about 8k ohms,

and the neck pickup sounds just a s loud.

I don't think that its out of phase, because there is bass and treble, not tinny..... I the only think i've noticed that they are not parallel to the string angle , the strings go right over top of the top pickup of the humbucker and

the strings are alot higher on top of the second humbucker because of the angle of the strings. I moved the pup paralel to the string angle using my hand and playing a few notes and the volume / tone stayed the same...

do i have them too high, should i adjust the pole pieces hirer lower, stick some foam under the pup to lift the bottom up to meet the strings ?

Do you only notice the hot when going through a pedal ?

It sounds ok, but not the power that i expected

Stumped....i thoink that they should be alot hotter.....

Hi, '71 Twin Reverb, amp is fine, doesn't seem to matter if the pup is parallel to strings or not, measured the resistance again, 16k, going to play with height tonight, maybe need to lower it, I'm thinking that the "power" doesn't kick in while playing clean, only when

using a distortion pedal ?

Thanks ! I'll do some comparisons with my twin and ocd pedal and my bfg with the Burstbucker 3 in the bridge,...reason I'm wondering about all this.....I picked up a second BFG to play around with,

I'm going to put a Seymour Duncan Hot P90 -3 , 10k, in the neck and I want to put a high gain pup in the bridge, either the Gibson 500T, Dirty Fingers, or Seymour SH-6 Distortion Pup, all three are around 16k ,

I don't play metal , but we do play some garage / heavy blues, and I'd like to have something that can sound sweet clean, then smoke !!

Don't know much gibson pickups,and didn't know some had four wires.

I customized a lot of guitars with Di marzio and specially seymour.

On the seymour I'm sure that the green is the ground,red and white solded and tapped,and black is hot,which is not the same with dimarzio.Check the correct wiring(if not already done),then,the heights of the mic may be important too.

Don't know much gibson pickups,and didn't know some had four wires.

I customized a lot of guitars with Di marzio and specially seymour.

On the seymour I'm sure that the green is the ground,red and white solded and tapped,and black is hot,which is not the same with dimarzio.Check the correct wiring(if not already done),then,the heights of the mic may be important too.

If everything is wired correctly from what you can tell, double check your contacts ( solder ) on the pots and the back of teh pots.....even tho it 'looks' good, a bad contact, or not enough contact (ie a couple of wires not touching ) can affect your sound. Un-do your solder, twist the wires on each leg tight and re-solder. If that makes sense to you, let me know. Also, double check your ground wire. clean the back of the pot really good and make sure that it has good contact.........

Ya might wanna take em out and check em...I have a set in a 70's 335 and they put out 12.6 and 13.1 repectively and a 2008 RD which have basically the same output.

You may be experiencing a BAD pot or capacitor in your ax , as Dirty Finger are the HIGEST OUTPUT pup Gibson offers

You can check this if you have a LOW OHM reading mutli -testor if not any Radio Shack seel these for under 20.00 and you can test them youself before spending any money on new pups.

Yyou need only cross from the two connection on the pup while it is NOT plugged in to get the ohm;s ( resistance) if is is less than 10 there's a problem in your electronics.

I hope that helps ya....if ya need more help in performing this test the bok THE LES PAUL HAND BOOK or DAN ERLWHINE BOOK OF GUITAR REPAIR will help you and are two great books for the do it at home guitarist who prefers to do his own set ups and wire his own ax and all maintainece. For 20.00 each tese two books are a wealth of knowledge.

Hope that helps ya and I hope I was able to help you sort of your porblem....if you bought thepups NEW they should be warrantiedif installed by a GIBSON TECH ONLY, if they camw in the guitar and you bought it NEW it should be covered by Gibson and should be able to be replaced under warranty but what they'll be replacing I believ will be a pot or capacitor but if you must get a new pupget it in 4 conductor so you have several other wiring possibilities giving you the ability to split the humbucker or put it in and out of phse with push pull pots making your ax much more versatile.

Alsp the powerof a Dirty Fiongers is ther allthe time jst like the voltage in yor ouse it;s right there at the recaptcle waiting. So what gives you the distortion that is normal in a Dirty Fingers pups is the Volume switch on BOTH the AX and the AMP toget NORMAL DISTORTIOn yo must overdrive the amp which if you play anythin gover 30 watts is gonna be deafening. I have played out for 35 years using a 65 Deluxe Reverb which is 22 watts

I hope that helps ya

ST JAMES

please excuse my spelling and useof caps as I have some cataracts in my eye and in really is hard to seein the am

• 6 months later...

Archived