Gibson Brands Forums

j-200 vs swd

HDdeuce

thanks forum-folks. Maybe I should have waited just a little longer but I kinda feel like cameleye who was overcome by the magic of owning/playing a fine instrument so...I have a j-200 on the way from Sweetwater. At their site I could talk to a knowledgeable player, as well as see the actual guitar they will ship. Bob- you were steering me toward the rosewood swd...I'm pretty certain this will be primary guitar. My other acoustic is an Ovation Elite Standard I've played for over 11 years and enjoy, but I wanted a real and fine guitar...I'm not an accomplished player but appreciate quality! Plus, as I've aged, my torso has changed shape and the round back of the Ovation...well, instrument position can be 'challenging' at times...Anyhow, Sweetwater has a good return policy if I need to reconsider...thanks again. (EuroAussie-liked your advice and your music too.) this forum is cool and the links to music inspiring. Doug

'

• 2 weeks later...

The J-200 studio has arrived-I have my own "big blond" now! Guitar came in Wednesday, only trouble is I've been way too busy to spend much time caressing her...but I like what I hear!!! Anxious to spend quality time with her this weekend. And an extra plus, she looks far better than the pics Sweetwater had posted. And the tone...very rich, full, beautiful, 'course I been use to spruce/fiberglass combo. Will eventually plug her into an acoustic amp and see what the fishman sounds like....but "au natural" first for me! Thanks for all your encouragement in purchasing the 200. Think I'll be REAL pleased! Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, there is some serious J-200 GAS on the 'board, lately. I never thought I'd be into the super jumbo scene, but a friend

brought one over two Saturday nights ago, and...

It wasn't 'til the morning after, while realizing how cool those big curvy jumbo maples were, that I remembered all of

the warnings about the frequent problems people experienced w/ the big jumbo guitar body. It sounded so good, I forgot to

be off-put by the larger dimensions.

The SWD is a nice guitar, but the J-200 is an Icon. Enjoy.

Archived