Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spot

Any ES-125 T owners out there?

I'm considering picking up a '57.

Obviously great guitars for Jazz and some blues, but what about other styles?

[confused]

Not at the moment, but I had a 1960 125TDC back in '85 and around 2003 I briefly owned a '57 125TD. Come to think of it, I owned a 120 for a while in the late 80s, which wasn't a lot different.

Be very mindful of the neck set. They weren't all that rugged and many need resets. Beware if the action is on the high side and the bridge is all the way down. Look before you swipe the card.

Not at the moment, but I had a 1960 125TDC back in '85 and around 2003 I briefly owned a '57 125TD. Come to think of it, I owned a 120 for a while in the late 80s, which wasn't a lot different.

Be very mindful of the neck set. They weren't all that rugged and many need resets. Beware if the action is on the high side and the bridge is all the way down. Look before you swipe the card.

Among the many Gibson hollowbodies I've owned, the closest thing I had to this specific model was an Epiphone Century that I picked up for almost nothing at a local flea market back in the 80's (in fact, I bought two that were almost identical). They were both playable, but would have benefited (and probably did after I sold them) from neck resets. So... good advice from ksdaddy.

As for what kind of music you can play on them... I generally don't subscribe to that way of thinking. You're only limited by your imagination.

Thanks guys.....The guitar in question looks good and the dealer confirms no neck reset required and that the neck is in tip top shape...

I'm going for it!!!!!!... Will post pictures soon!

[thumbup]

As for what kind of music you can play on them... I generally don't subscribe to that way of thinking. You're only limited by your imagination.

Good point Jim.....Thom doesn'r seem to have a problem....

ThomYorkeES125T.png

[thumbup]

Just got her,.....my 1960 ES-125 T!!! She's a beauty and in brand nw condition for a 52 new old instrument, its actually quite scary!!!!

[scared]

IMG_0340.jpg

HA! the name of the thread was if there were es-125t owners out there, and now you are an es-125t owner.

Yes Stein,...and a very happy one to!!!!

[thumbup]

I played one at a local dealer about three or four months ago, and fell in love with it. A good ES125 is a wonderful guitar.

Just got her,.....my 1960 ES-125 T!!! She's a beauty and in brand nw condition for a 52 new old instrument, its actually quite scary!!!!

[scared]

IMG_0340.jpg

Beautiful!!!! More pics please!!!!!

On 3/15/2011 at 7:38 AM, Gaolee said:

Thanks. Maybe. Now I'm in lust! [scared]

Everytime I pull my ES125T out of the case I fall in love all over again.  

On 7/22/2020 at 7:49 AM, hojo199 said:

Not a "T" but this ES-125 (1948) is on its way to me. Just purchased on Reverb. So excited!

IMG_7083.jpg

Very clean example!  Congratulations.

A few years ago I was sold a 1959 ES-125T basket case. It had been refinished badly. I made all sorts of plans for it but ended up just stripping the varnish off it and leaving it stained dark with no finish whatsoever. It was an outstanding guitar, with the fatter 1959 frets. I sold it and I've questioned that move ever since. It had absolutely no collector value but it was a great utility instrument.