Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio '60s Tribute

Deacon Blue

i just bought a 60's tribute in "worn ebony". evidently the Goldtop is the most popular one, followed closely by the Honeyburst. no idea why... [biggrin]

anyway, the guitar is really nice. i was surprised how light it feels. granted i'm comparing it to an R9, but it does feel lighter than my standard, which is also chambered.

it has the very slim neck: again comparing to the R9 and the standard.

there is a slightly "worn" appearance to it: in the middle of the neck the finish is "worn through", and on the upper edge of the body. basically you can see the wood on the neck, and then a little white on the edge of the body: not a distraction, just "faded through" in appearance. i am told that this varies from one to the next, so it would be wise to look before you buy if this is a concern.

also, not a gloss finish at all, very much a satiny/flatter finish, and for the black and creme combination in particular it is a very attractive instrument.

the P-90 sound is why i bought this one though: i am not disappointed. i highly recommend playing one of these, as if P-90s are your thing you will probably dig it.

my camera battery is charging right now, once charged i will post some pictures.

Thanks for the input on the guitar. You guys have me stoked now.

I think I will try them out on Saturday and if it feels right, I think I will pick one up.

I have a Les Paul Classic Antique (vintage tobacco sunburst and I love it but I am

really digging the p90 sound, that is why I am interested. I will let you know how I make out.

Thanks again.

thanks for the pics, the guitars look great.

Can you tell me if there is a difference between the 50's and 60's pickups

or is the neck the only difference.

Pickups are the same. The '50's has Orange Drop capacitors, the '60's

does not. Some, '60's didn't come with the metal "pionters" at the

volume and tone controls. Other's seem to have them. All the '50's

version, have that feature. So, we don't know if it was a Gibson "spec"

change, or just an oversight? The necks are somewhat different, but not

so much, that one becomes of more preference, than the other...again..IMHO.

Because of the Orange Drop caps, the '50's has a very slight edge, in Mid-

range tone...to me. The '60's version, seems a bit "rounder," in tone.

But, both can be compensated for (if desired), by amp EQ adjustments.

CB

Well, I wen't to Toronto today to check out the 60's tribute but it seems these guitars are hard to get. I guess at $850.00 they fly off the walls as fast as they get them in. They did have a 50's tribute gold top which my buddy picked up. They are bringing in a 60's honeyburt for me. It should be in next weekend. A very nice guitar for the price. I'm excited!

I am not joking but i get a little almost electric shock when I see that picture. They look GORGEOUS!!!!!

I keep seeing it, and it's like a Van de Graaff generator. The little shock that Matt reports is slowly turning into a big old bolt of Smokestack Lightning (shinin' just like gold...). Break out the Hubert Sumlin riffs. But must keep calm because I need an acoustic more than one of these, and I can't afford both!

Got a couple (50's & '60's) Tibute "Gold-Tops."

Really enjoying them, both.

DSC_0049.jpg

CB

you lucky dog.

So, the 50's has pointers and orangedrops? I like the chunky neck, so that decides it for me. 50's it is.

No binding right? looks like it kinda does have it...

I love the shade of creme they used. the older pinkish one. looks hot on that previously posted ebony model.

MORE IMPORTANTLY... Do these use the new PCB clip/board wiring scheme? or 50's style wiring?

you lucky dog.

So, the 50's has pointers and orangedrops? I like the chunky neck, so that decides it for me. 50's it is.

No binding right? looks like it kinda does have it...

I love the shade of creme they used. the older pinkish one. looks hot on that previously posted ebony model.

MORE IMPORTANTLY... Do these use the new PCB clip/board wiring scheme? or 50's style wiring?

no PCB in mine:

cavity1.jpg

cavity2.jpg

Archived