Gibson Brands Forums

EB-0 String advice

JAldoUK

Hi Just Looking for some advice really...

Trying to help out my bands Bass Player. He has just got hold of a EB-0 Bass, which needed some electronics mending and new strings fitting.

I said i would do this for him.

I understand that this bass is short scale 30.5" and i'm just wondering what peoples opinions are for strings for this model?

Think He uses Rotosounds on his P-Bass but hes not too fussy about the brand.

Also i've read after searching other places that some short scale strings are 30.25" so too short and this model needs med scale strings.

Thanks in Advance

Jon

If it is anything like my EB-2, which is also a short scale bass, short scale strings work fine. I can't say what strings he should use, since it depends on the sound he wants. I use flats on the EB-2 and rounds on the T-Bird.

• 1 month later...

If it is anything like my EB-2, which is also a short scale bass, short scale strings work fine. I can't say what strings he should use, since it depends on the sound he wants. I use flats on the EB-2 and rounds on the T-Bird.

Is there anything such as short-scale bass strings? That is, do the strings for short and long scale basses differ? I thought I could just get any bass string and it would be fine. This comment confused me.

There are different scale stings made, but I've always had a hard time finding them when I was looking for them for friends.

I did try to use some of my long scale strings on my friends sons short scale bass, it worked, but I had a hard time with the

E string. The ends of the strings are tapered so they fit in the tuners and once I cut it down to size the E was too thick.

Just something to think about.

Long scale is 34" or 35", give or take. Short scale, which is the usual length of a Gibson or Epiphone bass, is 30.5". A Fender is generally something like 34" and a Thunderbird is 34.5" if I remember right. Rob's comment about the taper is right on. There is no way I could use long scale strings on the EB-2 because of how the tuning pegs are configured.

• 1 month later...

There do exist short scale strings by several makers: d'Addario, Rotosound, Fender, Pyramid (really nice strings from Germany), Thomastik Infeld.

On the EBs, i prefer Pyramid Rockshort N (i am not affiliated with this dealer in any way) in either "40 or "45 strength.

Beate

Archived