Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic taste test (blindfolded)

Acousticologist

I've done a very quick recording (under 2 mins) of three new guitars using soundcloud and the built in mic on an Apple Mac computer.

I played a short picking piece, followed by a short strummed piece with each guitar.

Please let me know which guitar you prefer...

Which do you think is the most expensive?

Which has the best highs/lows...? and balance??

Once there are a few replies, I will reveal which guitars you are listening to...

Here is the link to the sound clip...

http://snd.sc/hKbsjr

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done a very quick recording (under 2 mins) of three new guitars using soundcloud and the built in mic on an Apple Mac computer.

I played a short picking piece, followed by a short strummed piece with each guitar.

Please let me know which guitar you prefer...

Which do you think is the most expensive?

Which has the best highs/lows...? and balance??

Once there are a few replies, I will reveal which guitars you are listening to...

Here is the link to the sound clip...

http://snd.sc/hKbsjr

I'm sure they all sound much better live. I've recorded myself on garageband using the built in mike on my Mac with disappointing results.

That said, I like the first the least.

I liked the 2nd the most with the 3rd in the middle.

They all had articulated highs but the 2nd sounded the most balanced.

The 1st sounded like it had no bottom.

As to price, [confused]

it is really hard to tell with this puter, but i would say the first one is the best, closelt followed by the 3rd, and the middle one sounds like dry taost to me.

could not begin to guess what they were, but i am going to guess small body or oo size?

I was listening through really creappy work speakers, but here we go ...

For me guitar one was the best sounding overall. I found it to be the most balanced .

Im pretty sure Ill be wrong here but Im guessing first one was a Gibson, second a Martin and third actually sounded like a Taylor, very bright ..

Sorry quality of recording makes it very difficult to really select one from the other

Main Reasons

1. Room guitar was recorded in is far from ideal
  2. Microphone choice
  3. Microphone placement

Have a read here for some background

sound on sound article

Also check out the test recording I did of my new J45 a short while ago

forum post

Even though this was recorded in an untreated room with a budget large diaphragm condenser (LDC) microphone you should be able to hear the difference compared to your recordings

Oh and I was listening on Sennheiser HD 650 headphones

Hope the above helps you in some way

Madman Greg

I think acousticologist was just having a bit of fun, nothing wrong with that. We're not trying to split the atom here ..

I like these guessing games personally.

Sorry quality of recording makes it very difficult to really select one from the other

Main Reasons

1. Room guitar was recorded in is far from ideal
  2. Microphone choice
  3. Microphone placement

Have a read here for some background

sound on sound article

Also check out the test recording I did of my new J45 a short while ago

forum post

Even though this was recorded in an untreated room with a budget large diaphragm condenser (LDC) microphone you should be able to hear the difference compared to your recordings

Oh and I was listening on Sennheiser HD 650 headphones

Hope the above helps you in some way

Madman Greg

I think acousticologist was just having a bit of fun, nothing wrong with that. We're not trying to split the atom here ..

I like these guessing games personally.

Yeah, just enjoying myself. I was being a kid with all my toys laid out in front of me, and thought it would be something different for the forum.

But I do know who to talk to when I'm ready to get serious. Thanks Madman...

I like this idea, but yeah it is difficult to tell the difference with the recording quality.

2-1-3 for me.

3 didn't seem to have much sustain, so I'm going out on a limb and saying that's the cheapest guitar *please don't be a Gibson, please don't be a Gibson*

Second sounded more balanced for me fingerpicked. Narrowly edged third, which I thought might have a bit more balance strummed. First sounded tinny, even on second play through. Are they all maple guitars? They all have a certain zing to them, and none has much middle to my ears. Or is that just the recording?

For me: Bronze, Gold, Silver.

Statistically, this test is a little unfair in favor of number

two. If number one in inferior to number two, the tester will

be biased before he ever hears number three.

To be completely fair, one and two would be tested separately.

Then two vs. three and finally three vs. one.

I like the picking on #1 because it seems to have a bright top with a mellow bottom the strumming sounded somewhat unbalanced though (sounds like a Martin to me). I liked #2 for it's over all sound and balance esp. on the strumming... it feels nice and warm. #3 sounded banjo ish to me I didn't really like it.

Archived