Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic taste test (blindfolded)

Acousticologist

I saw the results before I got to hear the clip but still it's...

2...3...1 for me.

Yesterday I got to play for the first time my friends 12-string Martin.

Nice guitar.

I love everything about Gibsons and they will always be my favorites but I gotta tell ya mid to high end Martins just exude solidness. You can feel it the minute you wrap your arms around one. The sound is good also but I really notice the solidity of construction.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the recording wasnt to blame, i think theres maybe some hurt pride by folk who assumed they could imediately guess which was gibson. Actually I thought it was a great little test. As i said all the way through, i thought 2 was a hummingbird but I was wrong. 3 was the one I liked best and not because i was guessing which model etc, i just liked the soound better.eusa_whistle.gif

I´m glad you can judge an acoustic instrument recorded by the built-in mic of a computer and reproduced at that rate.

I´m sorry but I can´t hear the frecuencies you are paying for when you buy one of this nice instruments. All I hear is no low-end, messed up highs and harsh mids. You don´t need to spend $2000 to get that sound. LOL

The idea of comparing a recording is great but done that way is like trying to compare 3 frozen pizzas.

I´m glad you can judge an acoustic instrument recorded by the built-in mic of a computer and reproduced at that rate.

I´m sorry but I can´t hear the frecuencies you are paying for when you buy one of this nice instruments. All I hear is no low-end, messed up highs and harsh mids. You don´t need to spend $2000 to get that sound. LOL

The idea of comparing a recording is great but done that way is like trying to compare 3 frozen pizzas.

It was done completely for fun [biggrin] Not a scientific experiment, or a yardstick by which all acoustics are measured.

Was definitely worth a chuckle though..

It was done completely for fun [biggrin] Not a scientific experiment, or a yardstick by which all acoustics are measured.

Was definitely worth a chuckle though..

I agree. And if I had to record something using the equipment you used and to be reproduced under the same conditions, I would use the guitar wich sounded best under those circumstances, wich in my case, it was number 2.

It has anything to do with pride as somebody posted.

my comment regarding pride was about peoples alegiance to the gibson brand. shock horror the guitar people voted was actually a martin. You know, it is allowed to like the sound of other guitar brands. regardless of what equipment was used to record some folk would still have chosen 2 but found a reason to claim it wasnt really there favorite because its not gibson and put it down do not hearing it properly.

It was a fun experiment with no wrong or right answer as to preference. [thumbup]

If its OK, I thought I would continue on with this thread

Here are two sound clips (guitar 1 and guitar 2)

I am hoping this will be pretty obvious

One guitar is a Gibson, the other is an entry level acoustic, can you guess which is which.

Both guitars have the same make of strings and are equally played badly [biggrin]

guitar 1 and 2 sound clips

Please excuse the playing, I am getting back into it after being quite ill at the end of last year and am improving my strength and coordination as time goes on - not looking for sympathy here.

Madman Greg

One guitar is a Gibson, the other is an entry level acoustic, can you guess which is which.

Both guitars have the same make of strings and are equally played badly [biggrin]

Please excuse the playing, I am getting back into it after being quite ill at the end of last year and am improving my strength and coordination as time goes on - not looking for sympathy here.

Madman Greg

ooh.. this is a harder one.. guitar 1 sounds a little twangier and brighter, guitar 2 less harsh and more mellow or subdued. actually i'm thinking 2 is the gibson. either way they both sound pretty good.

Please excuse the playing, I am getting back into it after being quite ill at the end of last year and am improving my strength and coordination as time goes on - not looking for sympathy here..

Madman Greg

Guitar 1 for me Greg. ..

Archived