Gibson Brands Forums

Help with a song?

Gilliangirl

Okay, my mom emailed me about Corinne West and Kelly Joe Phelps and some of their collaborations (they're great!). As one thing leads to another, I found this song that is just gorgeous. So I'm sitting here getting frustrated because I'm struggling with one of the chords. I'm playing it capo 1, and the chords I'm using are F#m, E, and a Bmsus2 but letting the top two strings ring, so it would be 224400. Does this sound right? Or can anyone help me with that third chord? It comes in at the :12 second mark. I'm not convinced it's 224400 but that's the closest I can get. [cursing]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw8OLWHTSXY&feature=related

Hi Neal,

Welcome to the forum! I don't think I need to slow the song down. I'm just struggling with that third chord, but I've spent the last half-hour on it and I think it'll work (my weird Bmsus2 chord). Did you know that you can slow songs down just using Windows Media Player? And it does not change the pitch. You don't need any fancy software. Save the song to your harddrive, then while the song is playing, click VIEW, then ENHANCEMENTS, then PLAY SPEED SETTINGS. Presto! Song slowed to your specifications and best of all it's free.

Hi Neal,

Welcome to the forum! I don't think I need to slow the song down. I'm just struggling with that third chord, but I've spent the last half-hour on it and I think it'll work (my weird Bmsus2 chord). Did you know that you can slow songs down just using Windows Media Player? And it does not change the pitch. You don't need any fancy software. Save the song to your harddrive, then while the song is playing, click VIEW, then ENHANCEMENTS, then PLAY SPEED SETTINGS. Presto! Song slowed to your specifications and best of all it's free.

Hello Gilliangirl, there are 2 guitars playing here. One of them (and maybe both) is capoed on the 5th fret with a drop D tuning (just the low E down a full step to D). I think the high E is also droped to D as well which would make the 3rd chord G with the 6th string open. Its a little hard to tell because of the interplay. Let me know how this works for you.

Hello Gilliangirl, there are 2 guitars playing here. One of them (and maybe both) is capoed on the 5th fret with a drop D tuning (just the low E down a full step to D). I think the high E is also droped to D as well which would make the 3rd chord G with the 6th string open. Its a little hard to tell because of the interplay. Let me know how this works for you.

+1 on hard to tell due to the interplay between the two guitars. But I am swimming against deadlines, sleeping little in weird patterns, and so very tired. Should really stop posting for a while, as I've said elsewhere. Still. Really intricate and interesting combinations (even almost clashes), especially on that third chord where a seventh seems to be very prominent, but on the lead instrument, and playing against something altogether different that I can't make out. The whole thing reminds me of the Gillian Welch/David Rawlings combination, but with more harmonic complexity, sort of Welch/Rawlings gone avant-garde. Really rather nice, just like W/R - good to hear others doing something comparable, but still very distinctive. Nice post GG. Work out your own voicing and forget theirs - that's the best thing for it. That's how brilliant covers originate, and how classic new songs get written. Change the lyrics slightly, change the chords a bit and then copyright it!!!!!

You are definitely safe with what you're doin. I'd make a ring-finger/tiny finger double hammer from 222200 to 224400 when hitting the chord and then discretely slip through a 222400 in the last half of the bar before returning to F#m.

Like the style a lot and this tune is a major example.

Have fun with your own version. . .

Dropped D! I seem to have a mental block when it comes to hearing that. I just found another video and they're both playing way up the fretboard. The challenge for me is trying to do the song justice with only one guitar, so that's why I was trying to find some chords lower down the fretboard to give it some balance, know what I mean? If I have only one guitar to contribute to the song, I'd be afraid to play it capoed so high without another guitar to bring it back down to earth, so to speak. This probably doesn't make any sense. Anyway, thank you Neal!

+1 on hard to tell due to the interplay between the two guitars. But I am swimming against deadlines, sleeping little in weird patterns, and so very tired. Should really stop posting for a while, as I've said elsewhere. Still. Really intricate and interesting combinations (even almost clashes), especially on that third chord where a seventh seems to be very prominent, but on the lead instrument, and playing against something altogether different that I can't make out. The whole thing reminds me of the Gillian Welch/David Rawlings combination, but with more harmonic complexity, sort of Welch/Rawlings gone avant-garde. Really rather nice, just like W/R - good to hear others doing something comparable, but still very distinctive. Nice post GG. Work out your own voicing and forget theirs - that's the best thing for it. That's how brilliant covers originate, and how classic new songs get written. Change the lyrics slightly, change the chords a bit and then copyright it!!!!!

Mojo, funny you should mention the GW/DR connection because this song has the same sort of chord progression as my fav GW/DR song, which is Caleb Meyer.... 1m,V11, and 1V, altho on this one I'm wanting to play the third as a minor of some sort. I tried the 7th too but it sounds awkward without another guitar in there. Maybe I'm just tired too. Hope you got lots of restful sleep [thumbup]

You are definitely safe with what you're doin. I'd make a ring-finger/tiny finger double hammer from 222200 to 224400 when hitting the chord and then discretely slip through a 222400 in the last half of the bar before returning to F#m.

Like the style a lot and this tune is a major example.

Have fun with your own version. . .

OMG Em7 are we separated at birth? ESP? [biggrin] That's what I was playing! I'm calling it Esus4. I just make my own chords up [flapper] You should see my sheet music.... it's illegible to the average person [biggrin]

Mojo, funny you should mention the GW/DR connection because this song has the same sort of chord progression as my fav GW/DR song, which is Caleb Meyer.... 1m,V11, and 1V, altho on this one I'm wanting to play the third as a minor of some sort. I tried the 7th too but it sounds awkward without another guitar in there. Maybe I'm just tired too. Hope you got lots of restful sleep [thumbup]

See, after I posted earlier, that was the connection which slowly seeped into my semi-conscious mind too. Then I started wondering whether DR's playing is actually that much less given to tasteful discord. Rhythmically strident leads in both cases anyway. So this is where his ghost has gone to wear those rattling chains... No sleep till the entire German education system has been duly translated into English and French.

See tiredness tells. Returned to the version of Caleb Meyer that I first heard and know best (BBC session from a few years back), and Rawlings is definitely more dissonant and 'avant-garde'. By some way. Oh well.

On a different front, why not try to combine the Polly Harvey tune with the one you're trying to figure out? It's a songwriting tactic along the lines of the one that worked for Jimmy Page. On which note, I'm off to imagine Caleb Meyer done by PJH. Now that I'd like to hear...

Hi GGirl. Wanted to post to you for a few days and am jus now getting to it...really liked that piece played by West/Phelps. I had not listened to them before your post. From your question looks like you're working on the song..anxious to hear a post of it! Good luck on working it up.

Doug

Archived