Gibson Brands Forums

What year was my sg made?

41magnum

I believe it is a 65.

The Serial is broken down as follows.

YDDDYRRR

YY is year, for example: 6###8### is a 68

DDD is day of the year, for example: #216#### is the 216th day of the year.

RRR is Batch number or factory designated number.

I don't think the ydddyrrr was introduced in 1965 but much later.

please visit here :

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

Trying to find out what year my Gibson sg was made. Serial number 640557.

Hmmm...according to the Gibson website, you're guitar may not exist!

The eight digit serial numbers began between 1975-1977. So yours definitely predates that.

But 1969 was assigned 601XXX-606XXX, but there doesn't seem to be any year between 1961 and 1969 that use your serial number.

Then, in 1970, the six digit numbers were assigned very randomly. "Made in USA" was stamped on the back of the headstock. If you have the USA designation, it looks like your guitar was made in 1970, 1971, 1972, 1974, or 1975.

At least that's what I can decipher from the Gibson website.

~DB

The 6XX,XXX numbers are documented as being used in 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, & early 75. So, in other words, the number alone is USELESS in dating this instrument. My 60's number listings do show the EXCLUSION of 640,XXX, so that would put it in the 70's era. The existence, or non-existence, of things such as the headstock "volute" and "Made In USA" stamp, will put it on one side or the other of 70/71. During this period there were also other cosmetic changes, and model designation changes being made to the SG.

Photos and potentiometer codes will be needed to verify ANYTHING about this guitar.

i also have a SG with 6 digit serial It took me a while to figure out that it's a SG Pro but I'm still not sure of the year. What else is interesting is that the neck is hella easier to play than my 03 61 reissue.

EDIT...just checked my pots is has these numbers on it 1377141

EDIT...just checked my pots is has these numbers on it 1377141

That pot code means the potentiometers were made by CTS (137,) in 1971 (71), during the 41st week of that year (41). That would most likely put the guitar assembly in late '71 or early '72.

Edit: Additional info about the SG Professional (with raised LP style pickguard, and the controls on a faceplate)- It is generally accepted that these were only made in '71 & '72.

Edit: Additional info about the SG Professional (with raised LP style pickguard, and the controls on a faceplate)- It is generally accepted that these were only made in '71 & '72.

sweet thanks!!!! that's exactly what is has. it also has the bigsby so i was wondering if there is a special guitar case for it or not. Would i be able to just throw it in a modern sg case without hurting it?

Archived