Gibson Brands Forums

Recent Guitar Recital I performed in Spain

Duende

cheers Pippy, Saturn and DAS

Actually Pippy! have a clip of me playing Villa Lobos on Roger's Byrdland! That guitar is very special...but Roger's favourite guitar isn't the Byrdland and he laughs with shame admitting it! You will have to ask him now LOL

Excellent Matt.. Wonderful feeling in your playing... Next time I wont miss it!!

Dave,

I am gutted we didn't get to see each other! I am playing at the foundation again next year so we can try again then msp_thumbup.gif

Your piece "Longing" fits the performance... IMO one of your best pieces [thumbup][thumbup]

I would like to hear the studio if you have it [thumbup]

Hi Duane

Thank you msp_biggrin.gif

Do you mean a studio recording of The Longing?

If so, I have recorded a few versions of it, but I just have never liked hearing it as a recording in a studio. It just doesn't seem to work in that format. It is a very loose improvisatory piece and a very good piece to start a concert with, because you can not only set the mood, but it calms the nerves/adrenalin down...I think perhaps because it hasn't a set pattern, like some of the composed pieces. Also it is a piece you can warm your fingers up to.

Matt

I just got done doing some messing on a AE playing with more passing chords on some old "white" folk blues type stuff.

I'm increasingly convinced that at times playing a different guitar shape, even if it's essentially the same neck, is very valuable in getting one's head into another place for the same music - fingerings, passing chords if it's one's own arrangement...

That's the one thing that it seems you and I both do, Matt - you with talent and me just with the fun of playing to keep a liquor bill below 50 quid per year. <grin>

So... I wish others would give it a try. I may be wrong, but I think that "we" too often think, "oh, gotta play the Les for this style of music." We have dozens of subgenres of "metal," for example, but as far as I can tell, it's about 90 percent the same basic sound that people flow on, trying to find an escape to a different sound. Again, I don't understand why some "classical" style wouldn't bring some of that.

My old 175 has had more Bach and Christmas carols played "classical style" on it by far than my nylon string, btw, over the past decade.

m

I just got done doing some messing on a AE playing with more passing chords on some old "white" folk blues type stuff.

I'm increasingly convinced that at times playing a different guitar shape, even if it's essentially the same neck, is very valuable in getting one's head into another place for the same music - fingerings, passing chords if it's one's own arrangement...

That's the one thing that it seems you and I both do, Matt - you with talent and me just with the fun of playing to keep a liquor bill below 50 quid per year. <grin>

So... I wish others would give it a try. I may be wrong, but I think that "we" too often think, "oh, gotta play the Les for this style of music." We have dozens of subgenres of "metal," for example, but as far as I can tell, it's about 90 percent the same basic sound that people flow on, trying to find an escape to a different sound. Again, I don't understand why some "classical" style wouldn't bring some of that.

My old 175 has had more Bach and Christmas carols played "classical style" on it by far than my nylon string, btw, over the past decade.

m

I couldn't agree more. Us guitarists can be so prim and proper about what each guitar is designated for, to the point of being not only anal, but also detrimental to our creativity - and why? All because we see and hear a mass of people doing things one way and don't dare to question alternatives! That is why I love seeing people like Mike Stern use his Yamaha tele for Jazz.

My friend gets a lovely warm tone from his customised Super Strat and can play jazz with the best of them, but he has been to a few jazz jam sessions where guys with archctops have said "you are not going to play on that thing are you?" msp_crying.gif

Milo, did you also know too that the composer Barios used a steel string guitar?

Matt

Matt...

I didn't know about Barios. Joe Pass used a solidbody early on in his career. I've a vid of Roy Buchanan playing Misty on his Tele with a very respectable "jazz" sound and it was obvious that archtop player Mundell Lowe - also in the vid - was well enough impressed.

But then, I also love jazz fiddle. <grin> I'll just never be able to play it.

m

I just did these on trusty i movie on the mac. This first is an original piece called the Longing.

(Someone's phone goes off and you can hear some disapproving tuts - LOL)

It was recorded the Frax foundation; a Scandanavian arts centre in Albir, Spain.

The Longing (original composition)

This was an encore dedicated to Gary Moore and Jeff Healey. A lot of people seemed surprised (and pleased) to hear blues at a Spanish guitar recital! I think I will add some more of these kind of things in the future.

Blues improvisation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rirHv6OMEjY

brilliant stuff matt! [thumbup]

Cheers Steve

I am not a fan of Gary like your good self, but I respected him as a master of what he did (it is strange writing about him in the past tense!!) The Blues For Greenie album and After Hours, are very special albums in my life soundtrack! Such an awesome talent to losemsp_sad.gif

As for Jeff Heley, he is up there in Julian Bream and Randy Rhoads territory for me and the day he died I was very sad too

Matt

Archived