Gibson Brands Forums

1929 Gibson L5

jannusguy2

Hi all, looking for some advice on the above mentioned guitar. Player grade condition. Gonna need some work. Right off the bat it will need a neck reset, finger board binding is gone, pick guard gone, gonna need a total re-fret, missing 1 original tuner. No cracks anywhere although I can feel some separation at the binding on the bottom beneath the strap button. The finish s caked in grime that I haven't removed yet so I can't really what shape it's in but I can see the expected checking and wear. Looks to be easily salvaged but at what cost. Just trying to see if it's worth up to a grand or more to bring this guitar back to life. I've never been a real arch top fan so i's likely be turning this around fairly quickly (I hope). Bottom line, if all i have in it is maybe a grand, what's the over under on getting back that money and then some? or, should I just make it available in its current condition and let someone else sweat the repairs? Any thoughts? I'll add some pics shortly.

Looks like it could be brought back with a competant repairman. Not sure what that would cost...especially without a visual, hands-on inspection. Your call! Sell as is... or do the repairs. I don,t think a grand is too much in its current condition, though...probably more! Just a wonderfull looking back on it! RRod

Wow, looks like an all-original from late '29. Congrats. If you only have a grand into it, you should be in great shape to make a nice profit. Sometimes it's tricky to know whether to try to sell something yourself, or consign it to somebody who will charge commission but also can get top dollar. In this case, I would ask around and get as much info as you can. I would recommened both Archtop.com (Joe Vinikow) in Seattle, who has a great repair shop and one of the best turnover/satisfaction rates in the business; and Gruhn Guitars. A guitar like this deserves to be put in the hands of a top notch repairperson, in my opinion. There are no doubt others, but I can recommend these two from personal experience.

Archived