Gibson Brands Forums

J50 Repair and Gig Notes

Rambler

This is about the revival of my old 67 J50, which I picked up for a song about 10 years ago but was about to give up on. It had developed some bellying behind the bridge, some cracks, rough visually. Narrow nut. I took it to a new shop in the area for an appraisal, but the tech said he could get it back in shape and at a fee well under some others I'd been quoted. Well, besides getting the settled, he re-set the bridge (intonation was off). That axe had always seemed a bit compressed. It sings now, even with a set of 11s on it.

Last night took it to an open mike. Gave 'em Delia, Talco Girl (Steve James). It was fantastic. I was on my game the sound was great (omni-direction mikes, good speakers). And the J50 came through: big bass, crystalline high end. Great warm pad to sing on. There is something about Gibsons. Folks commented on how great it sounded (most everyone else had Martins and Taylors).

I still worry about the guitar, mostly whether or not it will hold up and that nut spacing. But it's got THAT sound.

J50.

gibfron.jpg

J50 and me (about 10 years back)

jkj50.jpg

Archived