Gibson Brands Forums

Under the bed or closet queens

Tim Plains

You know, those guitars that never see the light of day. Do any of you guys own guitars you never play? Literally, I mean never. The ones that may come out of their case once a year, if that. If you have such a guitar, why do you keep it? Not trying to start an argumentative thread.

Pictures are always welcome.

Yeah its under construction once im done fixing the house.

Pic...

009.jpg

The neck is horrible, i think the truss rod is ****ed and one of the frets has a huge gash, i think ill just trash the neck and keep the body. Dont got the experience to fix the neck.

I'm guilty:

Black Fender California Strat

Blue Flower Fender Statocaster

They got played for a few minutes in the past year.

Can't bear to part with the latter as it is my favorite Fender finish. I have the bass version that I logged some serious man-hours on over the last 5 years as I am mainly a bassist now.

I would sell the Cali strat but have no idea what it is worth.

i rarely play my Ibanez RG any more... once in fact in the last 5 years or so. i just can't part with it: i gigged it for years, and it's been around the world with me (literally: i took it to sea when i was in the military). way too much sentiment, and it's probably not worth too much at this point anyway.

i think i'll take it out tomorrow now for nostalgia' sake. :)

I have them....I'm not even sure how many guitars I own....Every so often I'll pack up some 'house' guitars and trade them out for guitars in cases in storage..

Sometimes I'll open up a case and think, " When did I buy this one ?"

I've got a 1991 J-30 that was originally bought buy a guy for his son. The son didn't 'take' to guitar playing so it went in the closet. I bought it in 2006, changed the strings, and it went back in the case. The warranty papers were never filled out.

j30.jpg

I've also got a 2007 CJ-165R that has maybe been played 3-4 hours in it's life.

cj165front.jpg

I've thought about getting rid of them but I think long and hard before getting rid of "A List" guitars.

My 1993 Mexican Stratocaster. It was my sole axe from about '93-2003. Then one day I took it for a set-up and the guy talked me into letting him "fix" the frets, which had started to get those little divits in them. I wish I never let him do it. Now I hate the neck. It sounds dead and I can't bend the strings without my fingers slipping off! I even put GFS pickups in to try and give me reason to play it more, but I just can't get into it.

I'm still debating whether to get a whole new neck or a re-fret. Both probably would cost more than the guitar is worth. Unless I got one of those generic Fender necks, like they sell on Guitarfetish.com. :-k

Until then, it sits in it's case all alone :-({|=

GuitarFamily002.jpg

I have Hondo Strat that was gutted years ago for reasons I can't remember. Its my first guitar so I hang onto it. Also have a Takimine Gx-100 Explorer that just screams but after getting my LP a year ago I havent picked up anything else.

I bought a black and white Washburn Strat back in '95 that I gave to my daughter. The last I saw it, it was under her bed. I went to check it out a coupla months ago (haven't seen it in about ten years) and couldn't find it. I think my daughter probably sold it.

I have 4 I don't really play. First is a 7 year old neck through musicyo Kramer Baretta. Second is a 5 year old musicyo Baretta bolt on that was a sustainer now has EMG pickups in it. Third is a Jackson DK27 baritone about 5 years old, still has original strings on it. Fourth is a Gibson Explorer faded brown. My most played and practically only played guitar is my Epiphone SG Deluxe. Love that thing.

My brother passed in '94 - he left an Explorer that may or may not be something special - there's lots wrong about it, but there's lots right about it, too.

It doesn't get out much.

He also left a truly ancient Melody Maker that has been at the back of my niece's closet since. She think's it is a relic of sorts, and won't produce it for inspection. I remember that it had had a sunburst finish stripped, and the pickup changed (way back when nobody had any idea about respect for "vintage" aspects.) I also remember that it was in a cardboard/alligator case.

Perhaps I'll get after her about that one.

I hardly ever touch my acoustics. Same with the Tele. I will never sell the Tele though. It sounds and plays great! The reason it doesn`t get much play is because my LP Standard Faded sounds and plays even better! The PRS SE is a great guitar as well. It gets quite a bit of play. But nothing can touch the LP!

IMG_1041.jpg

Archived