Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone have the Iphone Fender Amp app?

Duende

I just got a new i phone over the weekend and noticed a Fender modelling amp on the apps. Now one of the most annoying thing for me visiting schools is so often the room where the amps are meant to be kept, is empty and I am with out an amp...the idea of having a little amp in my phone just for lessons is great...if possible.

my wife reckons we can just get a dock and/or speakers and use this as an amp for teaching?

Does anyone use this for practice etc and what do you think of the distortion and clean tones?

Cheers

Matt

I am not familiar with the Fender app. I do use ampkit however. It can be used with headphones or any powered speakers. The basic app is free, but the ampkit link cost me 35 dollars. And then of course you pay for any add ons. I posted a recording of " Sick as a Dog " a few weeks back using the Peavey valve king setting if you recall. That should give you an idea of the tones you can get. I use it all the time, I'm very impressed with it.

I am not familiar with the Fender app. I do use ampkit however. It can be used with headphones or any powered speakers. The basic app is free, but the ampkit link cost me 35 dollars. And then of course you pay for any add ons. I posted a recording of " Sick as a Dog " a few weeks back using the Peavey valve king setting if you recall. That should give you an idea of the tones you can get. I use it all the time, I'm very impressed with it.

I cannot believe what you can get these days for relatively little money!

Cheers

Matt

For a portable speaker I recommend these X-mini II portable speakers. They're about 35-40$ a piece and crazy loud, they're always big hits for my friends and family as christmas and birthday presents, even gave one to my guitar teacher. You can link multiples together for more/louder sound.

I haven't had experience with the Fender amp app, maybe when I get my iPhone back I can check it out, but regardless of what you get, if you want sound, these speakers win.

Specs include a built in 3.5mm headphone jack for plugging into iPods, iPhones, laptops, anything that takes a pair of headphones can take this speaker.

Make sure though if you do want to try one that you get the legitimate one, there are a lot of knock offs out there.

Cheers,

I went to my usual jamming session last weekend, and on one my friends brought with him a BC Rich and an iPad. Plugged the guitar using a special connector to the iPad, then to the mixer and run iRig on the iPad. It has various stompboxes to choose from, and varieties of amps. The only problem was he needs to stop playing whenever he needs to 'step' on the pedals. Sound wise, its like a multieffects produced sound. Cool stuff

Hi Matt,

this is either a plugin set or standalone version of Amplitube by IK Multimedia.

Exercise caution when purchasing: it's available in separate iPad and iPhone apps, and while you can purchase ALL the Fender amps and FX in app in the regular Amplitube app, you cannot purchase the other Amplitube stuff in the Fender standalone version at all.

also, note that in the Amplitube app, the ENTIRE Fender "pack" as a bundle is $14.99, significantly less than purchasing each item individually: the amp models alone come to ~$25 purchased separately. Some people have started to purchase items in app individually, before seeing the bundle and realizing how much more they just spent than necessary.

hope this helps!

Almost certainly better clean sounds than the below (still my only amp in Hungary):

http://smokeyamps.eu/voodoo-smokey-amp-cigarette-box-style-3118-0.html

But just think how cool it is to take a cig packet out of your case in school, not behind the bike sheds either, and then proceed to play through it... (Not for your classicals though, obviously.)

Almost certainly better clean sounds than the below (still my only amp in Hungary):

http://smokeyamps.eu/voodoo-smokey-amp-cigarette-box-style-3118-0.html

But just think how cool it is to take a cig packet out of your case in school, not behind the bike sheds either, and then proceed to play through it... (Not for your classicals though, obviously.)

Cheers,

That looks great msp_thumbup.gif

I am going to get kitted out with this or the Fender thing soon!

Matt

Cheers,

That looks great msp_thumbup.gif

I am going to get kitted out with this or the Fender thing soon!

Matt

Go Fender, Matt. I know I'm missing mine (rather larger than your proposed gizmo though).

In fairness to the Smokey, I knew its limitations before buying, it's great at what it does (mid-range distorsion at 1W, in a format which fits in the accessories box of your case), so not disappointed. Cheaper than an IPhone too (but you've already covered that expense). Plus its designer supposedly came up with it while working for Fender. Just missing valves, volume and headroom for clean as I knew I would.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Matt,

this is either a plugin set or standalone version of Amplitube by IK Multimedia.

Exercise caution when purchasing: it's available in separate iPad and iPhone apps, and while you can purchase ALL the Fender amps and FX in app in the regular Amplitube app, you cannot purchase the other Amplitube stuff in the Fender standalone version at all.

also, note that in the Amplitube app, the ENTIRE Fender "pack" as a bundle is $14.99, significantly less than purchasing each item individually: the amp models alone come to ~$25 purchased separately. Some people have started to purchase items in app individually, before seeing the bundle and realizing how much more they just spent than necessary.

hope this helps!

Thanks, dbreslauer. You are correct. We try to advise people that may want to mix and match amps and effects from AmpliTube Fender, AmpliTube 2, and VocaLive (to be added to the AmpliTube 2.2 update) that they should purchase AmpliTube 2 first, and then add the others to AmpliTube through the ADD GEAR menu. If you purchase these apps separately, you will not be able to use them together in one app.

yea, i also have the AmpKit. The hardware device cost me $30 but the app is free. It comes with a Peavey Valveking amp model, but you can buy others, as well as effects. They're pretty cool, but IMO a little expensive ($5 for each amp model, $3+ for effects).

It's a great tool for practice, but I don't think its really any good for much else. I would never use it for recording except rough riff ideas...

But for only $30 its a great deal cuz I can also use the interface to use my PolyTune app.

I really appreciate everyone's advice. I don't drive and get the train or walk to my teaching jobs, so I cannot carry too much. The sound clips people have posted sound great!

I am excited about just having my phone and a little pair of speakers being my teaching amp! The schools have amps of course, but so often they are not where they are meant to be!

Matt

Archived