Gibson Brands Forums

Strings........

Hype

I bought a brand new J-200 from the guitar store back in December and have yet to replace the strings. When the time comes though, I would like to get the exact same gauge and make. I assume that the guitar was strung with Gibson strings (according to the serial number though the guitar was made in 2009 so it might be possible the guitar dealer re-strung the guitar at some point during the 2 years it has been hanging on the wall for). The strings are definitely heavier than I'm use to using, but I really have no idea of the gauge or make. Even if I were to remove the strings I doubt this would be able to help with the gauge and brand.

Is there any way to tell what strings were used?

Gibson Acoustics normally strung with Gibson strings, right?

Thanks in advance........

Gibson Maserbuilt PB 12's is you answer.

I'll need to verify but thanks. How do you know? Is that the default strings to all J-200's? Cos I tested another J-200 at another store and they had a different gauge of strings (probably medium).

Great choice of guitar, but do you not fancy trying a different string?

Admitidly I searched for years till i discovered my prefered strings and now i put martin strings on all our acoustics but different gauges depending which guitar. On our electrics I have still to find the "perfect" strings I have chrome flatwounds on the telecaster and dadarrio on the SG. they work pretty good and cover what i need but i'm only about 98% convinced its the strings i'll stick with

I asked the exact same question to Gibson support and thats the response I got.

I like these strings but only for the first week, find they go dead soon after. I suggest DR Sunbeam 12's or 13's - they sound a lot like the Gibson strings but last a lot longer, actually hit their peak after some 10 hours of playing if thats possible.

I'll need to verify but thanks. How do you know? Is that the default strings to all J-200's? Cos I tested another J-200 at another store and they had a different gauge of strings (probably medium).

Archived