Gibson Brands Forums

SG Classic Faded

TeeRav

My son is very taken with the SG tribute in White, I am more in the classic faded cherry camp, the bound neck and full pick guard do it for me, he is beginning to also lean this way. Such a dilemma as he already has 3 electrics but I think the Classic will not be available new for a very long period. Our local store has some on the way and they are a very good price, what to do?

I was planning on getting the Tribute in white as well until I saw this hell of a deal. To me it just feels better with the bound neck and slightly larger neck profile. And to me, the feel is a lot more important than the look. Even though this guitar is quite sexy in my opinion!

The neck profile will probably be the deciding factor when choosing between the Faded Classic & Tribute. They're very different. I have a '07 gloss Classic, a '02 Faded with the moon inlays, and have played the Tribute. Significantly smaller neck on the Tribute. The Faded Classic appears to replicate the Classic in all ways other than the gloss finish, which should make it one heck of a deal, imho.

The neck profile will probably be the deciding factor when choosing between the Faded Classic & Tribute. They're very different. I have a '07 gloss Classic, a '02 Faded with the moon inlays, and have played the Tribute. Significantly smaller neck on the Tribute. The Faded Classic appears to replicate the Classic in all ways other than the gloss finish, which should make it one heck of a deal, imho.

Exactly. The chunkier neck of the Classic and Classic Faded is a lot better in my opinion. And honestly the Tribute felt somewhat "cheap" in comparison. Oh and I'd love to see a few pics of both of your guitars! Love the moon inlays and you gotta love the Classic!

Sorry TeeRav, I'm so old & lazy that I've never learned how to do pics (although I can handle email pics!). Both guitars were purchased new and have not been modified. My red Faded was made in April '02, and is one of the earliest examples. Along with the ebony fingerboard & moon inlays, the first ones also had an ABR bridge as opposed to the Nashville style. Between the Faded & Classic, the neck size & shape is very similar, but the Classic's is slightly more rounded off along the binding, and feels smoother & faster. Very very nice. Although the larger neck profile might initially seem like a liability, it's actually rather helpful to have some extra space between the strings.

This guitar got lost in the mix on the GC website as the 60's tributes came out.

I was eyeballing it for $699

then one day the tributes appeared on the website but this one was removed.

Went right over to MF and it was still there.

I then thought it was a photoshop mistake that the guitar wouldn't actually feature the binding.

Gibson sometimes does the trick picture

and I just assumed this was a tribute model that had a mismatched picture.

Basically the same guitar without binding for $100 more.

Makes little sense and a bit confusing.

Glad to see it actually exists!

I was planning on getting the Tribute in a couple months, but now that I see this I'd love to try it out. Only problem is it says it's a Musicians Friend exclusive... Curious if Guitar Center used to carry it, and stopped? AFAIK there's no brick and mortar stores for Musicians Friend.

I just ordered the SG Classic Faded. I have the regular SG Classic that I purchased back in 2007 and I just recently purchased the SG Special 60s tribute in natural color. The SG classic has a two piece body, joined right dead center, just like my SG Standard, cherry finish. The SG 60s tribute is a three piece body. The Classic and 60s tribute sound different indeed. I think it is because the pickups on the 60s tribute are much more spread apart than the classic. The classic's pickups are much closer together and also the classic has the pickups mounted on the pickguard while the 60s tribute is mounted directly on the wood, the body. I don't think the SG 60s tribute feel cheap at all, it just feels different and it is much lighter than the classic. I like the smaller neck profile of the 60s tribute and I can't wait to compare it with the faded SG Classic.

I was planning on getting the Tribute in a couple months, but now that I see this I'd love to try it out. Only problem is it says it's a Musicians Friend exclusive... Curious if Guitar Center used to carry it, and stopped? AFAIK there's no brick and mortar stores for Musicians Friend.

yes there are,theyr'e called guitar cente.and ps sam ash puts these guitars on sale periodically,I bought mine (Faded cherry) for $599.00 this past weekend.

Oh, no kidding. Didn't know that GC = Musicians Friend. I had received the flyer for Sam Ash and their monthly "biggest sale ever" last weekend but I didn't go. Probably better off as I would have been too tempted to buy that guitar. I'll definitely have to check that out, as Sam Ash is easy for me to get to. And I have a Sam Ash card...

• 4 weeks later...

I just got one of these during the Memorial Day sale. I got back into playing guitars after about 20 years. The last 7 years have been spent learning and repairing my guitars. I have bone nuts on every guitar I have. Every Fender I have is completely noise free. If I would have known 7 years ago what I know now this guitar would have saved me a few thousand dollars. This guitar is so good that I would have quit buying other guitars. I love the faded finish. It isn't like the other faded SG's with humbuckers. It has a shine to it and looks fantastic exactly like it is. The P-90's they use are the best pickups I have heard and I've tried so many that I could fill up this page with the names of them. SD,Dimarzio,Rio Grande,Custom Shop,etc. The volume when switching from the bridge to the neck is exactly the same. The bass is outstanding and the tuners contrary to other comments work as good as you'll ever need them to. Vintage Gibson Deluxe. The Plek system is everything they say it is. The Corian nut is as good as bone and I think better. The whole string sits on top of the nut and there is barely a notch that keeps it in place. The P90's are everything you would want a humbucker to sound like and everything you would want a single coil to sound like mixed into 1. They are so clean that you can't believe what you're hearing and then if you want crunch it's there and then if you want to play dirty as hell it's there. I didn't know what to expect especially after I got it. One string height post was high and the other one low. The srews on the stop bar were turned out about 5 turns. I marked the wheel and turned them both out exactly 4 turns. Then I screwed down the stop bar. After I done that it plays perfect. This is one guitar that you won't have to change out anything. Gibson pots and then they have an electronic board that everything is soldered to. The pickups plug into a connector. 1-piece neck and a nitro finish. No rough ends on the frets and I really like a binding on the neck. Skeptical Joe Schmoe is now unskeptible. I thought I would hate the neck but now I think it's perfect. It's more of a C shape that has just a little more width then a 60's slim taper. I took a chance and ended up with one of the best guitars I have played. I'll name just 2 other things I have. A USA Hamer Newport Pro and a 1968 Dual Showman Reverb Head (MINT) that doesn't have a Master Volume. Well who knows. Maybe this will help you out on some things you might not have known.

• 3 months later...

I bought an SG Classic, the non-faded finish one, on CraigsList two months ago. This guitar was love at first sight. I am normally a bare bones guitar kind of guy, but took quickly to the bound fretboard. The feel of the guitar is like no other. Dig the sonic assault these P-90s deliver. She's going into the shop this weekend to get a Bigsby and a graphite nut.

I will also add how disappointed I was at how much I did not like the SG 60s Tributes. The SG is my favorite guitar and I wanted to like them, but the neck and that broad, flat fretboard just did not feel good in my hands.

Interesting it went on sale at MF for 699.00 and they have a $50.00 off. But I called to see if I could get a case too and he said it dosent even have a gig bag....... WTH

Still wish money wasent so tight right now, oh well at least I have a killer 50's tribute LP

You'll find this is the case with any Gibsons you purchase from GC, MF etc. They try to sell you the case the guitar left the factory in separately, my sales rep was a pretty damn good guy and threw in the case on my SG.

Archived