Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP Plus Top VS Ultra

Tmusich

Was set on getting a LP plus top then I happened to see an Ultra which I haven't seen much in the stores and really liked it. Anyone know the differences between the two especially sound wise. The Ultras have recently dropped in price and that's why I am considering one now. I like to play rock and read online that the Ultra isn't really geared toward hard rock. Any input on this appreciated. Thanks

Au contraire, Tmusich!

Until I got my Gibson LP, my Epi Ultra was my "go-to" guitar for a nightly gig that required me to play some fairly solid rock! With a bit of amp tweeking, that guitar can to anything its other LP brothers (sisters?) can do ... and at about HALF the weight!

Ultras are chambered guitars, bringing them in at about 5 pounds or so. Gibson has done this as well with a couple of their Les Paul models. This is not "weight relieving" mind you, but a full on hollowing of a good section of the guitar. Here's what it looks like under the maple top:

P_UltraChambers.jpg

Another difference is the "belly cut" on the rear of the guitar, sort of along the lines of a Stratocaster ... another reason that the Ultra is a damn comfortable guitar to play. In this pic you can also see the satin finish on the neck:

P_Ultra2.jpg

Unplugged, the guitar has a brighter, more resonant sound than a standard LP ... plugged in it can sound as raw as you want it. Mine is completely stock ... she's a looker too:

Sany0091.jpg

Try one out, bubba ... they ARE at a great price right now. I still own and play mine ... it's one solid ... well, sort of hollow, guitar!

Jim

Thanks for the info glad to here think I am sold, the only bad thing is that store was the only one carrying one in town. They don't seem to easy to find. And when it comes to Epiphone plus tops or ultras i don't buy online cause they differ way to much from one to another in color and some look downright awful. Thanks again.

Archived