Gibson Brands Forums

74 LP Custom Dilemma... FINISHED...mostly

gtrplayr1976

Ok...I have a 74 Custom...just the body when I got it. I'm thinking of swapping out the original bridge studs to post ,and bushing Nashville type......Should I do this ? Keeping in mind it has no other original parts. Is there any advantage to this ?

Thanks Folks !

The advantage would be a better bridge and easier adjustability! If the rest of the parts are not original, then a non-original bridge won't make that much difference. A 1974 is nice for sure, but this particular instrument would probably be better off being fixed up to play great and be a daily player! I like collector quality guitars just as much as the next guy, but unless it is something REALLY special, I'd rather have good frets, good intonation and great playability. :D Show us some pics !!!!!

The advantage would be a better bridge and easier adjustability! If the rest of the parts are not original, then a non-original bridge won't make that much difference. A 1974 is nice for sure, but this particular instrument would probably be better off being fixed up to play great and be a daily player! I like collector quality guitars just as much as the next guy, but unless it is something REALLY special, I'd rather have good frets, good intonation and great playability. :D Show us some pics !!!!!

Yeah this is definitely a player . Not even close to collectible. I'll get some pics posted too.

Some people say the ABR's posts going directly into the wood transfers vibrations better. Not sure if there is any truth to this but it does make sense to me. I personally like ABRs more because they look better (Nashvilles are bulky) and they allow you to lower the tailpiece more.

looking at the pics, when you say origional body, do you mean the neck as well, or has the neck been replaced? if it is, then i would disagree that the guitar has no value as a collectable. maybe still not worth very much, maybe less still with no origional hardware, but it would have some value in that area. it is, after all, a kalamazoo origional. there is not even a kalamazoo factory anymore. the thing about hardware, that can be easily changed, and so one might want to put origional hardware on it at some point.

Ok...I have a 74 Custom...just the body when I got it. I'm thinking of swapping out the original bridge studs to post ,and bushing Nashville type......Should I do this ? Keeping in mind it has no other original parts. Is there any advantage to this ?

Thanks Folks !

Hey Bro, Please take the time to read my story on this topic. I was lucky enough to find my year of birth LPC... check it out I hope this helps.

Click on this link. http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/57597-urgent-help-needed-please/

looking at the pics, when you say origional body, do you mean the neck as well, or has the neck been replaced? if it is, then i would disagree that the guitar has no value as a collectable. maybe still not worth very much, maybe less still with no origional hardware, but it would have some value in that area. it is, after all, a kalamazoo origional. there is not even a kalamazoo factory anymore. the thing about hardware, that can be easily changed, and so one might want to put origional hardware on it at some point.

Yes Neck ,and body are original. I may very well stick with the ABR1. Thanks for the input.

Archived