Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar + Amplifier for a Student

Blues Rock

Hey guys! :)

I'm a 14-year-old student that soon will do 15.

And I want a guitar (and an amp) :D

I play the Blues, Rock, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Blues Rock, a bit of Metal and Classic guitar

I'm in the 5th grade in a conservatory of Classical Guitar and know a lot of Electric Guitar

Guns N'Roses, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, B.B. King, Deep Purple, U2 and Yardbirds are the bands that have the musics that I like the most and also know how to play

Blues Boy Tune, Stairway to Heaven, Purple Haze, Sweet Child O'Mine, Nothing Else Matters, Layla (bothe versions), Have You Ever Loved a Woman (Derek and the Dominoes version), Heartbreaker, Knocking on Heavens Door, Patience, Soldier Of Fortune, Voodoo Child,... are some of the musics that I dominate [thumbup]

My guitar can no longer accompany me (Squire Strat) and that's why I want to buy a new guitar (and a new amp)

I was looking to the Les Paul model because has a shape that I like and plays all the genre of music that I like

I'm now in doubt between Les Paul Standard 2008 and Les Paul Traditional (with Modern Machine Heads - Gold)

They cost approximately the same - 2000€

Now the amp. I've a Line 6 15W and I'm not too much satisfied with his presets :huh:

I saw Blackstar HT 5 (with only 5W) but also Egnater Tweaker 112 (with 15W), but more expensive...

I'd like that you help me choose the guitar and the amp that suit me the best [rolleyes]

Thank you

Wow, wish I had the opportunity to have a REAL guitar like a $2000 Les Paul at 15 years old.......At that age I was happy I finally got a Mexican Fender Strat!.....Anyway.....The Les Paul Standard is fine, but do you NEED locking hardware and input jack? The Les Paul Traditional impressed me more, and it was slightly cheaper too! But you have to be the one to decide what features you need. And play several, cause some guitars, even in the same model, will be real winners, and some will just be so-so guitars. If you are looking for this caliber guitar, then you will also need a similar caliber amplifier. In that case, try a real, all tube amplifier! Like a Vox AC30 or a high end Marshall. That way you can get great cleans, and the signature CRUNCH outta that Les Paul too!!!! Also, if you wanna save some money, look at the Les Paul Studios, not the faded models, the glossy ones with the 490R/498T pickups. They rock hard too, are very well made and will save you almost a thousand bucks! Then again, NOTHING can replace the satisfaction you get when you pop open the case to be greeted by a figured top!!!! Good Luck!

Wow, wish I had the opportunity to have a REAL guitar like a $2000 Les Paul at 15 years old.......At that age I was happy I finally got a Mexican Fender Strat!.....Anyway.....The Les Paul Standard is fine, but do you NEED locking hardware and input jack? The Les Paul Traditional impressed me more, and it was slightly cheaper too! But you have to be the one to decide what features you need. And play several, cause some guitars, even in the same model, will be real winners, and some will just be so-so guitars. If you are looking for this caliber guitar, then you will also need a similar caliber amplifier. In that case, try a real, all tube amplifier! Like a Vox AC30 or a high end Marshall. That way you can get great cleans, and the signature CRUNCH outta that Les Paul too!!!! Also, if you wanna save some money, look at the Les Paul Studios, not the faded models, the glossy ones with the 490R/498T pickups. They rock hard too, are very well made and will save you almost a thousand bucks! Then again, NOTHING can replace the satisfaction you get when you pop open the case to be greeted by a figured top!!!! Good Luck!

So I'll opt by Traditional

But what Marshall are you talking about? I don't want spend too much money in a 40-50W (or more) amp because I wouldn't use so much power. [wink]

Hmm, then maybe look at the Vox AC30VR ( Valve Reactor )..it's under $600. Plus it has 2x12's ! Which is my favorite speaker combination. But a low watt amp will do you just fine if you don't plan on using "The Power!". A 5 watt Marshall Class 5 will be good, and so will a Fender Blues Jr. (which is 15w and all tube). I'm not totally against solid state amps, I just think the tube distortion has a little something extra......more natural sounding? Warmer? In any case, it just moves me! Peavey makes tough stuff, will last forever and a day! The Peavey classic 30 is sweet, but I think it costs too much. If you use effects pedals, then you will LOVE the Peavey Valve King Royal 8 ( I know it is discontinued ), but it was a CHEAP 5 watt tube amp that handles effects pedals REAL well! And you can still find them since they are only recently discontinued....and you can get them usually well under $200!!!!!! It won't handle large gigs, but it will cause hearing damage in a bedroom! When you are in the store buying your Les Paul, plug it in to a few amps and see what YOU like :) enough people giving you suggestions and soon EVERY amp will be recommended to you , lol.

Hmm, then maybe look at the Vox AC30VR ( Valve Reactor )..it's under $600. Plus it has 2x12's ! Which is my favorite speaker combination. But a low watt amp will do you just fine if you don't plan on using "The Power!". A 5 watt Marshall Class 5 will be good, and so will a Fender Blues Jr. (which is 15w and all tube). I'm not totally against solid state amps, I just think the tube distortion has a little something extra......more natural sounding? Warmer? In any case, it just moves me! Peavey makes tough stuff, will last forever and a day! The Peavey classic 30 is sweet, but I think it costs too much. If you use effects pedals, then you will LOVE the Peavey Valve King Royal 8 ( I know it is discontinued ), but it was a CHEAP 5 watt tube amp that handles effects pedals REAL well! And you can still find them since they are only recently discontinued....and you can get them usually well under $200!!!!!! It won't handle large gigs, but it will cause hearing damage in a bedroom! When you are in the store buying your Les Paul, plug it in to a few amps and see what YOU like :) enough people giving you suggestions and soon EVERY amp will be recommended to you , lol.

I JUST LOVE PEAVEY VALVEKING ROYAL TOO <3

But I'm in doubt if I'll find it :(

And what about Blackstar HT-5?

• 1 month later...

Hi

you are playing a wide range of music. The Les Paul you would need for a all the type of music is a Les Paul Traditional Pro features BurstBucker 3 and '57 Classic pickups with push/pull coil splits, '60s neck profile, Grover locking tuners, antique binding, period-correct pickguard, vintage Gibson top hat knobs, and the revolutionary Plek set up. The push/pull coil splits

will give you so many variations tones for types of music. Check groovylessons@aol.com Scott does a review on the Traditional Pro he is a god on playing, lessons and knowledge on guitars. Hope this will help.

I play the Blues, Rock, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Blues Rock, a bit of Metal and Classic guitar

I'm in the 5th grade in a conservatory of Classical Guitar and know a lot of Electric Guitar

Guns N'Roses, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, B.B. King, Deep Purple, U2 and Yardbirds are the bands that have the musics that I like the most and also know how to play

Blues Boy Tune, Stairway to Heaven, Purple Haze, Sweet Child O'Mine, Nothing Else Matters, Layla (bothe versions), Have You Ever Loved a Woman (Derek and the Dominoes version), Heartbreaker, Knocking on Heavens Door, Patience, Soldier Of Fortune, Voodoo Child,... are some of the musics that I dominate [thumbup]

My guitar can no longer accompany me (Squire Strat) and that's why I want to buy a new guitar (and a new amp)

I was looking to the Les Paul model because has a shape that I like and plays all the genre of music that I like

I'm now in doubt between Les Paul Standard 2008 and Les Paul Traditional (with Modern Machine Heads - Gold)

Now the amp. I've a Line 6 15W and I'm not too much satisfied with his presets :huh:

I saw Blackstar HT 5 (with only 5W) but also Egnater Tweaker 112 (with 15W), but more expensive...

I'd like that you help me choose the guitar and the amp that suit me the best [rolleyes]

Thank you

I can help on the amplifier front. Best amp value right now - by far - is the VHT Special 6. I tried one of these, and it blew my mind. So I bought a head...for like $170. Better tone than most of the amps on the market... at that price is a no brainer. It's ****ing ridiculous.

There is nothing wrong with an Egnater Tweaker.. (you don't always have to go down the Marshall or Vox road)

And it IS an all Tube amp.

Link to Egnater Tweaker

Go with a Head because even a lowly 5w tube amp can drive a 4x12 without a problem.

So you can choose any speaker you want with the amp.

And you'll find that even 5 tube watts for a bedroom is more than loud enough too, so choose wisely

Put most of your money in your amp.... If you must go cheap (and I know I plug this amp too much [cursing] ), a used roland jazz chorus is the way to go...

As far as the guitar... How much money do you have to spend... Gibsons are flippin expensive ...

Put most of your money in your amp.... If you must go cheap (and I know I plug this amp too much [cursing] ), a used roland jazz chorus is the way to go...

As far as the guitar... How much money do you have to spend... Gibsons are flippin expensive ...

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with that... Amplifiers come and go, but you'll keep a good instrument the rest of your life. The music comes from the guitar, not the amp.

Thank you

all depending on your budget

I would personally go for the Blackstar HT 5 (you wont be disapointed and i'm a Marshall user) and the les paul traditional NOT the 2008 standard Les Paul especially based on your influences as they are pretty much the same as mine. Studio's are great too but if you find you only got budget for one or the other? go for the Traditional and wait for the amp. thats my own personal choice

I'd say go for a Traditional with a Fender Blues Jr. amp. Best combo!! [thumbup]

I agree and adding to that I would go with a TRAD PRO with a Fender Blues Junior... top it up with an Ibanez TS9 stomp box..

AWESOME TONE with this combo..

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with that... Amplifiers come and go, but you'll keep a good instrument the rest of your life. The music comes from the guitar, not the amp.

Your respect is respectfully appreciated [sneaky]

So hell with it .... Go for it all... 1960 Gibson les paul custom with a late 60's Fender Deluxe Reverb...

Any Gibson guitar will last for years. While I love the Traditional Pro's, I'd have to say a nice Studio will also do just fine. Go play as many as you can and find the one that suits your ear best.

I've not played the Blackstar, but I have seen an increasingly larger number of artists playing through Eggnator amps. I own a Blues, Jr. and it is awesome for blues, but not so much if you want to play harder stuff, to my ear.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

Archived