Gibson Brands Forums

Fret board radius

DMC59

Personally i have never noticed the difference in feel between longer and shorter radii. What seems to make a bigger difference to me is the width of the fretboard and the profile of the neck and the scale length, also some necks get wider from nut to body and some don't. The radius of any given neck is only a small part of the "feel" equation IMO.

P.S

Just in case anybody is confused about radii, this refers only to the curvature of the fret board, and bears no relation to neck width and neck profile.

199599_1439159598605_1821480400_839296_6048608_n.jpg

P.P.S some necks have compound or conical neck radius, both have a rounded fretboard at the nut and gradually flatten out to a longer radius by the body fret.

It's a curiosity to me how many guys out there have a large stable of gear, yet can't play worth a crap.

Simple. Kids see what their guitar heroes use and they think they have to have the same stuff to sound good. Unfortunately, this syndrome often extends into adulthood.

But overthinking it is just what I'm referring to. Kinda like learning to play without looking at your hands - ya just gotta do it to get good at it.

I'm aware that forums such as this are populated by a large percentage of gearhounds, but my advice to beginners is to learn to play first, then become a gearhound. It's a curiosity to me how many guys out there have a large stable of gear, yet can't play worth a crap.

Point well taken -- no danger of me becoming a gearhound -- I can't afford it! What got me thinking about this was fooling around on my daughter's mid level Squier Strat with its 9.5" radius and also messing around at GC. However, I am progressing with the neck on my G-400, so I don't want to make this radius thing too much of an issue. I am thinking if I buy a new guitar in the near future, it might make sense to try a different neck.

Well....

I wouldn't say I play worth a crap, but most of my stuff is from the 1970s when I was playing "out" a lot either doing country/country rock in bands or "old time" stuff to help promo a state fiddling contest.

The first year prepping for a 1976 U.S. Bicentennial blow-out I backed up about half the fiddlers, took their photos, wrote news and PR for it <grin> and had great fun. Dunno what that qualifies me as. In those days I could play Foggy Mountain Breakdown on the banjo - I don't think I could today - but luckily a lot better banjo picker showed up for a special performance with some friends of mine. It wasn't that I wasn't busy enough.

But for what it's worth, I also learned I'll never be a fiddler even though I played some mandolin at the time with the same tuning. Every time I tried to practice the thing, the cat threw up on the carpet. <chuckle>

Anyway... Yeah, I'll agree that an OD on gear is kinda what we get into whenever we start something we're really taken with.

I guarantee I went way too far swapping, moving band to band and switching equipment, buying, selling, trading - when a good couple of instruments for what I was playing should have been enough. But then... there's that "sweetheart" you just might find like my 70s Guild S100c or that 175 or...

I'd say your first 15-20 years are pretty much experimental, yeah.

I would swap or sell the big tube amp, though... Roughly 90 pounds gig ready ain't fun to schlepp, and less so the older I get.

m

Archived