Gibson Brands Forums

Robert Randolph - Ain't Nothing Wrong With That

Searcy

I saw Robert play up in these parts in September, got a chance to go on stage n play but my legs gave out from under me :P.

He is a fantastic pedal steelist, as well as a fantastic performer. He knows how to play to the audience. The whole band is great, but Robert is something else!

[thumbup]

I first saw them several years ago (on TV ) play at the Grammys and was immediately blown away. I didn't get the name of the group at the moment so the next day I tracked them down and bought the one CD that they had out. Through the process of getting to know their music I learned that the pedal steel - within African Amercican gospel music in the south - is prominent, and even something of a unique cultural trait, and that there are entire bands of pedal steel players who play gospel music in this fashion. Very cool stuff. They played the opening show in Toronto last year or the year before for Clapton, and apparetly they were called up on stage to play some numbers together. The review of the show in papers the next day suggested that they far out shone Clapton on his own stage! Robert Randolph is the Hendrix of the pedal steel, IMO.

Archived