Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help with 1976 Gibson Les Paul Standard questions

jamit

Im new to Gibson guitars I have a old Gibson Les Paul standard. I want see what I could find out about it and maybe value. The serial # is OO2345??. The bridge looks like a TP-6 with fine tuners and it has two mini swicthes by the vol and tone knob and gold humbuckers are these stock items?. Any help I can get will be helpful I will try to add some pics Thanks

Im new to Gibson guitars I have a old Gibson Les Paul standard. I want see what I could find out about it and maybe value. The serial # is OO2345??. The bridge looks like a TP-6 with fine tuners and it has two mini swicthes by the vol and tone knob and gold humbuckers are these stock items?. Any help I can get will be helpful I will try to add some pics Thanks

Pics would be helpful. Gold is not stock for a 76 standard, nor is the TP-6..value depends on condition ,and how original it is . Hey...you have a 76 LP. :)

I tried uploading pics but it says my file are to big how can I post pics?

Edit you images in Paint..... Size them down to 50% of what they're currently sized at, then Save As.... Then try to upload again

As gtrplayr1976 mentioned; gold hardware and a tp-6 were not standard 'Standard' fittings in '76.

As there is a pair of mini-toggles added it would seem practically certain the p-ups are not the ones originally fitted - hence the hardware finish anomaly.

The tp-6 was understood to aid fine-tuning. Perhaps a previous owner thought the swap would improve intonation?

Gibson serial numbers from the '70s are notoriously difficult to date and the one you posted looks, to me at any rate, very strange indeed - although I don't have my reference books to hand at the moment. I'll try to check later on.

Could you check to see if the codes on the vol and tone pots are legible? If these are the original units (?!) we could verify the approximate date from those. Certainly the general shape of the 'horn' and the 'Protector' case would be correct for a '76.

As far as value goes; very difficult to guess. As it's a non-original instrument it would generally fetch a lower price when compared to an all-original example from the same period.

P.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FarnsBarns

The switches are probably coil taps and aren't original, this means the pickups are probably not original or possibly modified.

The tail piece is non original.

Could you take a close up of the control cavity and remove one, or both of the pickups and photograph the wiring.

What makes you think It's 76?

So did Gibson Les paul ever come with mini-toggles added ? Thanks

not in 76, but around 1980 there was the Les Paul Artist, that had the 2 mini toggles with the Moog active circuit board, yours is not that model, as others have said, this is a Standard that has been modified, pickups not original possibly the pots and the added toggles switches which I would assume are for coil tapping.

gibsonArtist.jpg

Archived