Gibson Brands Forums

New SG Honey Burst

MPz

I recently purchased this new SG Standard from GC and wanted to share a couple of pictures. I couldn't find it anywhere online, so I suppose it's a special run. It's equipped with a thin '60s neck and coil-tapped, uncovered BB1 and BB3 pickups. I've tested a few other SGs and Les Pauls, and was frankly disappointed -- sharp frets, sloppy finishes, and incurable fret buzz. This SG was just what I wanted, and the neck is as comfortable as my Strat's. Added bonus: It was set up great. It appears as if some of the QC issues at Gibson have been resolved. Thanks for looking.

SG2.jpgSG3.jpg

I'm now jealous. your making me want to cheat on my SG. [drool] I wish I had the money for one of those. May I ask how muhc you payed for it?

About gibson QC issues. In my opinion, the rave is still going on, but once it started becoming a factor gibson buckeled down. I think they are making better guitars than the past few years, but the QC noise will go on for a few more years atleast before people realize they are working on it.

Very nice indeed, I love the way the mahogany grain shows through the finish. I picked up the red version of that SG at GC a couple of weeks ago. You are absolutely right, the setup is perfect. It is a delight to play.

I'm now jealous. your making me want to cheat on my SG. [drool] I wish I had the money for one of those. May I ask how muhc you payed for it?

About gibson QC issues. In my opinion, the rave is still going on, but once it started becoming a factor gibson buckeled down. I think they are making better guitars than the past few years, but the QC noise will go on for a few more years atleast before people realize they are working on it.

The GC price was $1,299, less 15% from their sale.

Love that finish!

Is this different from the "Natural Burst" the standards came out in 2001?

I am not an expert on this, but it appears as if they are somewhat different. I also have seen how the same color can look substantially different from one Gibson product line to the next. Compare this to the new Honey Burst Les Paul, for example.

I am not an expert on this, but it appears as if they are somewhat different. I also have seen how the same color can look substantially different from one Gibson product line to the next. Compare this to the new Honey Burst Les Paul, for example.

THAT is one beautiful axe! Congrats!!

Finish will be slightly different cause of the top wood. Mahogany will be darker than the maple top of a LP.

THAT is one beautiful axe! Congrats!!

Finish will be slightly different cause of the top wood. Mahogany will be darker than the maple top of a LP.

Yes, you're absolutely right about that. Note that even some of the maple tops vary, though. I saw a post referencing this on one of the Les Paul forums.

• 2 weeks later...

Just played one today also honey burst with rosewood fretboard and that neck is fast, guitar was set up, and it is way lighter the the sg standard.

Burstbuckers are a little bright but have some smoking nickel strings to tame that down..

Just have to sell this studio i have and i am gonna step up....

Just played one today also honey burst with rosewood fretboard and that neck is fast, guitar was set up, and it is way lighter the the sg standard.

Burstbuckers are a little bright but have some smoking nickel strings to tame that down..

Just have to sell this studio i have and i am gonna step up....

I'm not sure which Studio you have, but if it's an SG, then I would say the Burst Standard is light years ahead, especially the neck and fretboard. I'm not sure if it's lighter than other Standards -- each one is unique -- but you are right that it is brighter than the other SGs I've tried. I'm not a big fan of the stock strings, but to each his own. I tend to use warmer overdrive/distortion pedals, which easily compensate for the brightness. Or, you can just dial down the tone. Good luck. It's a great piece.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived