Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

jetiii

I don't know what some guys are complaining about on the cheapest Les Paul - the Vintage Mahogany - This guitar is a great deal! It features $250 worth of Burstbucker pickups which some more expensive models do not even have. There is no need to ever change pickups, as these are the same ones in the new 2008 Standards, which sell for $2600. There is no maple top which contributes to its slightly deeper sound (it is actually great sounding) and it is very light compared to other boat anchor Les Pauls and it is very comfortable to carry around. This is weight relieved and may contribute to it's nice sound and sustain. Test one out and see. The true sound of a Les Paul is more a function of it's 24.75" length than it's thickness, so if it is slightly thinner than more expensive models it makes up for it with its light weight. I think this is the best deal out there on a Les Paul. If it can be found on sale for then it is a steal! Maybe your complaints about the fit and finish contributed to it's lower pricing - thanks! It has trapezoidal inlays in the rosewood neck and the tuners are fine, it has a nice black pick guard and the worn brown is by far the best color (no offense to the faded cherry owners). Mahogany is a fairly hard wood, so it shouldn't dent that easily, but you probably just need to go a little easier on this guitar because it has no protective shell. No decorative bindings and the only decoration besides the inlays is the word "Studio" on the Truss rod cover. The stitched Gibson Case for the Worn Brown has the white plush interior, the faded cherry guitar has black I believe. This model sounds much better than some higher LP models! A-B them and see for yourself! it probably will be discontinued soon, as it is too good a deal! FYI: Paint and lacquer does not improve the sound of a guitar. Great pickups do! I found a new one, still in the box, and on sale to boot, bought it, then took it straight to my luthier, clean bill of health right off the line! Everything was adjusted properly. The luthier was even impressed with it! It's a Gibson, you know the deal, get strap locks immediately as you do not want to drop them unless you wish to have the neck repaired. The finish will probably wear quickly, but what you give up in durability you make up in sound quality. The salesman wanted me to pay $70 extra for an extended warranty, no thanks! The limited lifetime warranty from Gibson, or just take it to your local luthier. You can actually call Gibson and get a customer support rep who will speak to you for some time if necessary. I have had good experience with Gibson.

My other gear: Gibson 1991 SG Junior with an Iommi pickup, Fender Hway 1 Strat with custom 69 pickups, Ibanez RG270DX with Iommi/bridge, Fender SCN/mid, Gibson Angus Young/neck, Dean Dime O Flame, Fender American Standard 1997 Telecaster, Black Pearl custom made MacPherson Guitarworks Acoustic, Dr Z Maz Jr., Marshall DSL50/1960BV, Marshall AVT 50H/Custom Cab - Rock and Metal - If I had the cash to spend I would have probably gotten a new 2008 Standard, but this one is a reasonably priced winner.

I noticed tonight (from a circular that arrived in the mail today) that the Burstbucker Pro pickups they put in it were worth even more than I stated. Did anybody out there alter the finish in any way and did anyone out there have any scratching problems with the thin finish? What is the finish anyway, is it nitro, lacquer, poly, or oil. anybody know for sure?

I've never heard one complaint about the VM. As a matter of fact' date=' it seems to me like most people who complain about QC issues are refering to Custom Shop. [/quote']

This holds a lot of water. As the Vin 'Hog is a stripped down version of the LP, there are fewer steps in its construction and finishing, with fewer hands working on it, and therefore fewer opportunities for something to get screwed up.

I think no one here hates those guitars... I am a big fan of faded finishes myself... find them a lot more confortable than "normal" finishes... (on Gibsons that is... if we talk fender, well, the american line comes with a satin neck back... so theres no problem there... Gibson should do this: glossy body and satin/faded back of neck).

I think all of them come with a case with white interior.

I think they look good, but if you change all the black plastic to cream, you'll se a great guitar and will never think the same of one with all black plastic (2 guys here did just that and those guitars ended up gorgeous... pics guys? PICS!).

I have the exact guitar shown in cookieman15061’s post and his picture is fantastic (NICE CLEAN LOOK). What do you use to clean/polish your guitar. I was told to use nothing but a damp cloth. I clean my guitars after each use and it does not look as good as cookieman’s. What is the secret?

I called Gibson to see what was best to use on the VM and they said that Gibson spray polish was fine. I just wipe it on and buff it off with a soft micro fiber cloth. The neck is so smooth with that light finish and its so easy now to move up and down the neck. Some other Les Paul finishes almost make it feel sticky.

Thanks Cookie! I've got to get some of that polish! The spray cleaner I have been using on my black guitars is called Evans Anti Static Spray from Evan Specialty Co., Inc. It works fantastic on guitars as it was made for computers etc. (and host of other things like carpets, doorways, and other contact surfaces) to reduce dirt and dust collection and eliminate shocks. Dries clean and will not stain or discolor. It is actually safe for fabrics and surfaces and boy does it work nicely on my guitars. I just spritz some on a paper towel and wipe away all smudges etc. and the guitars look like new.

I'm not a big fan of GC, but during their Labor Day Sale, my guitar was on sale for $699.00. I bought it for $650.00 and it is a new guitar and came with Gibson HSC with white liner. Their regular price is $899.00, I think. What a deal, they sold four of them in the 1/2 hour that I was in the store. They ran out of worn brown and were pushing the worn cherry when I left.

Yeah color wise I didn't really have a fav but price wise I couldn't say no. The GC near me had 6 ( 3 in each color). I played all of them searching for the best overall sound and feel. I almost bought a brown one but it had a long scratch below the tone knobs.The sales kid said they could take off 20 bucks. Ha Ha Ha! As it was the last one I played was perfect! No sweat stained pickups, no 15 yr old DNA mucking up the fretboard, no nicks, no scratches, no divots. That last one was cherry. My wifey likes the red one best. She's happy and I got a great Les Paul. Yeah Baby!!

100_2313.jpg

I'm not a big fan of GC' date=' but during their Labor Day Sale, my guitar was on sale for $699.00. I bought it for $650.00 and it is a new guitar and came with Gibson HSC with white liner. Their regular price is $899.00, I think. What a deal, they sold four of them in the 1/2 hour that I was in the store. They ran out of worn brown and were pushing the worn cherry when I left.[/quote']

I got the same deal without the extra 50 off (I don't know how you managed that), same place, same weekend! Couldn't beat it with a stick. The worn cherry looks better to me in photos, the brown better to me in person.