Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

jetiii

I am liking the VMs a lot. The brown one reminds me of my first LP a 1979 "The Paul." The VM looks better I think because of the larger fret marker inlays and pup covers. The T-Tops on my "The Paul" were uncovered and fret markers were dots as I recall.

Yea man the VM is like the lesser pretty girlfriend of the Standard that has a hot body and tons of personality' date=' like the cute girl next door that you wanna have sexy time with.

Here is mine.

[img']http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/jorgeasc/Guitars075.jpg[/img]

Maybe the VM is like a wife and the Standard is like the one you have to pay for or can't afford!

I'm new to the forum as of today. I just got a worn brown VM this afternoon and I can't believe it. I HAVE A LES PAUL! It is more than I could have imagined.

I know how you feel - when I saw mine on sale I couldn't say no, then reality set in so I put up my Honey Blonde 2006 Fender Hwy 1 Strat with Custom 69 pickups for sale in order to afford it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All!

Newbie here. Just bought a Vintage Mahogany in Worn Brown from local GC. This is my first LP. All I can say is... WOW. I totally love the "natural" feel on the back of the neck. Reminds me of my acoustic guitars, only not as fat. I like this feel a lot better than other LPs with painted and finished necks.

Other thing I noticed: they had 4 of them in Worn Brown, and 2 or 3 in Faded Cherry. I went into the store, ready to buy a Faded Cherry, but found out in person I liked the Worn Brown much better. The other major thing I noticed is they all felt different to me; some of them a LOT different. So, if you're considering getting one of these babys... go play a few of 'em so you can be sure you're getting one that feels best to you. Even if you have to drive a ways to do so, it would be gas money well spent. :(

T-Hawk

i am the proud owner of a les paul vm...

i bought it about a year ago, and other than the fact that the Burstbucker Pro's are awesome...the serial number dates the guitar to being "born" on the same week as me!!!!

its a match made in heaven...

alot of people knock the faded cherry finish because it doesn't hide the seams as well as the worn brown, but thats a bunch of hogwash in my opinion.

why buy a worn looking guitar and not have the seams?

it adds to the aesthetic in my opinion.

the one thing i did do to it though was remove the pickguard...that plastic thing would move ever so slightly every time i put my fingers on it...overall it just started to drive me nuts!

so i got rid of it!

i love it without the pickguard and believe it or not i have only seen one other member of any forum take the guard off of his/hers...

its strange really...

oh yeah i lied...when i first bought this beast from Guitar Center in CT, the frets stuck out on the ends and were a bit sharp for my liking so when i had the axe set up...i paid extra to have the frets dressed a bit and filed down...even my luthier was blown away by this guitar!

the pricepoint is great as well but dont let that fool you...the combo of the bright bb pros and the dark sounding mahogany is a match made in heaven...the neck plays like a dream!

i just bought a Melody Maker yesterday because i wanted a simple p90 guitar...and i must say those are a steal at $385 as well...

to me these are the two best guitars Gibson makes for the price...

but again i think everyone here on this board knows that!

i just think more needs to be done for VM owners...i know they were Musician's Friend and Guitar Center Specials...but i havent heard of anyone not liking these monsters!

we should start our own group/forum/page/ whatever...

i would be interested in joining!

let me clarify...

ok the whole other forum thing is a bit excessive i get that...

and i do really love my gibby...

my whole point is that for some reason or another people seem to be very passionate about "the cheapest gibson les paul" and there should be an outlet for that.

harmony central has tons of 9+ reviews on the guitar and other than on review sites and the occasional mention on a forum there isnt much in terms of info on these guitars...for example i saw a wyclef concert where he was playing one throughout the night...i'd be curious to hear what other musicians thought of this great little guitar.

i know that it isnt a standard, or a custom shop...

but at least a fan page or something wouldnt be the end of the world right??

I didn’t mean to dampen your excitement, I really love this guitar also. But this forum gives a lot of attention to this guitar as well as all other LPs. I enjoy reading about everyone’s thoughts and wouldn’t want to limit my reading enjoyment to just one guitar, my opinion only. Didn’t mean to offend, I do understand what you are saying, but I enjoy reading about this guitar in the same forum that others are writing about their much more expensive guitars and hearing their thoughts on what they think about this guitar as well. I feel that being here puts this guitar on the same playing field as all the others, and that makes me feel good about my choice.

I didn’t mean to dampen your excitement' date=' I really love this guitar also. But this forum gives a lot of attention to this guitar as well as all other LPs. I enjoy reading about everyone’s thoughts and wouldn’t want to limit my reading enjoyment to just one guitar, my opinion only. Didn’t mean to offend, I do understand what you are saying, but I enjoy reading about this guitar in the same forum that others are writing about their much more expensive guitars and hearing their thoughts on what they think about this guitar as well. I feel that being here puts this guitar on the same playing field as all the others, and that makes me feel good about my choice.

[/quote']

fair enough!

i just like seeing how people are modifying their VM's.

I am on the Fender Forum alot too (didnt mean to use a dirty word here on this forum) and it is covered with pics of people's strats...and i can stare at them all day long...I have a American Vintage '62 Re-Issue in Olympic White and yet its the same as it is with the VM in my opinion...an excellent guitar that is slept on because of either its lack of flash or price point...or whatever...(the fender is $1400 so it puts it up in the same vein as almost all of their non vintage or non custom shop models...so it is a little different)

but its just i like hearing how excited people get with the same gear i have.

you said it best...it makes me feel good about my choice

Yeah color wise I didn't really have a fav but price wise I couldn't say no. The GC near me had 6 ( 3 in each color). I played all of them searching for the best overall sound and feel. I almost bought a brown one but it had a long scratch below the tone knobs.The sales kid said they could take off 20 bucks. Ha Ha Ha! As it was the last one I played was perfect! No sweat stained pickups' date=' no 15 yr old DNA mucking up the fretboard, no nicks, no scratches, no divots. That last one was cherry. My wifey likes the red one best. She's happy and I got a great Les Paul. Yeah Baby!!

[img']http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk107/cookieman15061/100_2313.jpg[/img]

I gotta tell you, the color of the one you have is awesome and, okay this is a bit shallow but... a big part of the reason why I want one.

• 11 years later...