Gibson Brands Forums

Black finger tips

Foofyter

Just thinking out loud here but I would hazard to guess that black marks from strings would be in lines whereas blackening from the fretboard would be more of an all over effect if you will.

I get black lines sometimes from playing my acoustic using predominantly cowboy chords and capo as opposed to barre chords. I play a lot of traditional Newfoundland and Irish music using this mode and that is the only time any kind of staining occurs.

I have also found over the years that Ernie Ball strings turn black much quicker for me than some other popular brands due to the chemical compostion of my body oil and sweat.

Talk amongst yourselves.

In case you missed it - you're the odd man out - dadarrio's usually DON'T cause issues and stain used on fret boards usually DOES cause issues - it goes without saying it COULD be both, but in MOST cases it's the STAIN

I have to second this, too. Nickel wound strings blacken my fingers, and also bronze wound acoustic strings, but never chrome or stainless steel wound.

I rubbed the fretboard of my Epi LP Tribute 1960 Plus with Klever Ballistol gun oil until no more stain was left. It plays AND LOOKS much better now! There was no sensible reason for staining it at all, don't know why they did :-k

• 4 months later...

Just thinking out loud here but I would hazard to guess that black marks from strings would be in lines whereas blackening from the fretboard would be more of an all over effect if you will.

I get black lines sometimes from playing my acoustic using predominantly cowboy chords and capo as opposed to barre chords. I play a lot of traditional Newfoundland and Irish music using this mode and that is the only time any kind of staining occurs.

I have also found over the years that Ernie Ball strings turn black much quicker for me than some other popular brands due to the chemical compostion of my body oil and sweat.

Talk amongst yourselves.

AHH HAAAAAA

the truth finally rears its ugly little head......its the type of music you play

that causes this effect....LOL

It can easily be both causes. Clean the board and wipe your strings. Regarding the board, I've had this only happen once on a new Epi SG, but no other guitar. Clean it and problem solved. For the strings, cut up an old white T-shirt into 12 inch rags, grab each string at the bridge pinching it with the rag between your thumb and index finger and wipe (scrape?) up to the nut on each string in one quick motion. Use a different section of cloth for each string. Witness the black finger goo in lines on the white cloth and feel good you just extended the life of your strings. Do this each time after playing.

PS: in my experience and finger chemistry, D'Addarios do this so bad I changed to Ernie Balls an never looked back. YMMWV.

PPS: always wash your hands between eating and playing... just say'in.

Archived