Gibson Brands Forums

Can I use Digi 003+ with USB adapter on Mac?

starfoxhound

I got my self a Macbook with a Firewire port, that is the main studio laptop I use, however, I want to buy a new white Macbook, but they now lack of firewire port. I'd like to use it sometimes to record, but since it has no firewire, I'd like to get a firewire-usb adapter, can I do this and still use it with no problem to record, playback and use ProTools correctly, etc.?

Has anyone done that?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BentonC

I can say with 99% assurance that you wouldn't be able to. Unfortunately, the mode of communication is different for a Firewire and USB device when it comes to digital audio. Of course, I could be wrong when it comes to the digi hardware, so you still may want to submit the same question to an Avid or Digidesign forum or service rep, but I'm almost positive it shouldn't work.

Let us know what you find out!

(I'm still mad at Apple for removing what was perhaps one of the most useful features for thier baseline laptop models- Of course, I suppose there is a huge marketing advantage there, as they are really just forcing the audio production enthusiast to upgrade to one of the Pro models...) [thumbdn]

i wouldn't advise it from the outset, as specifications and requirements on Digis (AKA avid's) site dictate otherwise.

But I do know someone who bought the mbox as an afterthought and used the USB-Firewire adapter whicha actually CAME WITH THE MBOX....

but not having worked on the system myself, i cant tell you much more than that

Archived