Gibson Brands Forums

Please excuse my ignorance...

CortRnR

I'm new to the guitar maintenance and diagnosing problems thing. I've all of a sudden started breaking strings at the saddle, even brand new strings. So I'm assuming I've somehow created a sharp point on the saddle? I play a lot of lead. Would a setup at a my local guitar shop fix this issue? Thanks for the help guys.

You could have a burr on a saddle. If you have the right sized file (I've got a set of .10 slot files) you could dress that saddle slot. Otherwise, take it in to your shop/luthier - should be a quick "while you wait" job - unless, as Rocketman says, it's a wear problem and you need a new saddle. If you want a setup done, you'll have to leave the guitar.

Thanks for the responses. It's the Slash Les Paul, I bought it about 2-3 months ago and I've probably played it almost every day since I bought it. I ran my finger nail through the saddle slot on the D string saddle (one I broke) and it seems to be kind of sharp on the side closest to the bridge pickup. I guess I'll take it in to my local shop, I'm not confidant enough in my skills to fix this issue myself.

Archived