Gibson Brands Forums

Lately it seems like...

Dub-T-123

I here ya Dub. I was never a Tele guy at all. I never owned one until a few years ago when I bought a mim standard. I switched out the cheap pups for fender noiseless and it got played occasionally but while browsing in a guitar store one day I came across a 52 AVRI butterscotch Tele.

Man this guitar was the one!! Couldn't put her down and she quickly became my number one gigger. I sold the Mexcan and now have the only Telecaster I'll ever need.

nothing wrong with that. when i first started guitar, i got a stratocaster and loved it. then when i realized (when i got into classic and modern rock) that i would need something with more of a growl or roar. so i went to GuitarCenter and tried a bunch of dean,shecter, etc guitars. in the end, ive fallen in love with my ebony sg with humbuckers [laugh]. now my strat almost never gets played. but i love that SG. has a great feel, sound, and just everything about it seems perfect to me. but everybody has their very own cup of tea. so if you like the telecaster and thats the one you play best with, dont give it up.

Until recently that was me with my Strat, I love that guitar so much, it is so versatile and it plays amazingly well. I've been picking up my Les Paul a lot of late though, it's evening out. If a guitar speaks to you, play it! :P

Tele's are damned good guitars.

What do you have?

I have a Midnight Blue 1991 American Standard with a maple board. I bought it new in 92. It's 100% stock and was my main guitar for 15 years. It's been gigged hard and it shows. It was stolen ones and recovered. The paint is rubbed all the way through over the bridge. But I just don't play it these days. My hands are having a hard time with the thin neck as I get older and the Melody Maker I just got it plenty good for twang.

FenderTele1991.jpg

I have a Midnight Blue 1991 American Standard with a maple board. I bought it new in 92. It's 100% stock and was my main guitar for 15 years. It's been gigged hard and it shows. It was stolen ones and recovered. The paint is rubbed all the way through over the bridge. But I just don't play it these days. My hands are having a hard time with the thin neck as I get older and the Melody Maker I just got it plenty good for twang.

FenderTele1991.jpg

That's beautiful. Always wanted to get a guitar made in my birthyear. I'll give you 2 dollars and I'll cover shipping :)

I love my new Tele, but will never, and I mean never, replace my SG. The SG has tones the Tele can't match, and the Tele has tones the SG can't quite pull off, either. You should give them equal time, IMO.

The only guitar I want to play is my Tele.

I dunno... There's somethin about it..

It seems so expressive or something. My Gibson has been sitting on it's stand all cold and lonely. I feel guilty.

I have that same feeling, whenever I play my Telecaster, too. But, I always try to rotate, playing all

my guitars. That way, I'm always reminded why I bought them, all. Still, try as I might, some just get played

more often...my Tele is one of those.

CB

The Tele just has the sound and vibe that I'm going for right now. I love the SG and I won't sell it but it hasn't seen much action lately.

My Tele changed my opinion about guitars. It used to be mostly about feel for me. Now it's pretty much all about sound.

You have some pretty sweet guitars CB. If you stuck to one you'd be some weird kind of saint.

Yeah that's probably what I love about it most. It has the tastiest cleans and when I rock it it's got the tastiest dirty sounds. It's not necessarily how clean or twangy or anything but that flavor that it has... Always goes down smooth ;)

I feel like the sound just has a lot of character. It has a tone that I would want to listen to and it feels so easy to get that out of it. It must be love :wub:

I have that same feeling, whenever I play my Telecaster, too. But, I always try to rotate, playing all

my guitars. That way, I'm always reminded why I bought them, all. Still, try as I might, some just get played

more often...my Tele is one of those.

CB

Yup !!!!!!! Same here............[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ........

Don't like Fender necks. Period.

Some folks get nice stuff outa Teles. Roy Buchanan managed even to make it work for jazz, the turkey. <grin>

One thing I like about 'em is the availability of that volume knob for the pinkie of the pickin' finger. Buchanan, for example, made it work very well, again regardless of what he was playing. Without such a knob, you're kinda stuck with a volume pedal for changing attack and decay - although it works great to get a "forever" sustain if set up right.

m

Don't like Fender necks. Period.

Some folks get nice stuff outa Teles. Roy Buchanan managed even to make it work for jazz, the turkey. <grin>

One thing I like about 'em is the availability of that volume knob for the pinkie of the pickin' finger. Buchanan, for example, made it work very well, again regardless of what he was playing. Without such a knob, you're kinda stuck with a volume pedal for changing attack and decay - although it works great to get a "forever" sustain if set up right.

m

So, why is that? Is it the scale, or shape, or what? Not being critical, here...just curious.

I have no (real) problem, with any neck...Fender or otherwise. It's just a matter

of getting "used to," them. Plus, I have so many different neck profiles, and

fingerboard materials, that I've become accustomed, to getting used to,

their differences, quickly.

CB

The only guitar I want to play is my Tele.

My Gibson has been sitting on it's stand all cold and lonely. I feel guilty.

And you should. [-X

... just kidding. These things go in cycles, don't they? Play what you're feeling right now. Just don't sell the Gibson, it will come back around. [cool]

CB....

A cupla factors on "F" necks. Mostly, I think, it's the radius. That's actually why Roy B. preferred the darned thing.

And when I was messing with other types of guitars a lot in the mid-late 60s and 70s, every "F" I touched seemed like a ball bat 'stedda a guitar neck.

I think some of the blame may come because I'd been mostly playing either classical necks or 12-string necks, both of which are of course both wide and flat. The narrower nut and sharper radius on the fingerboard just feels so odd it makes it hard to play. Probably if I only had a Tele for a year I'd get far past that, but... no need, so no deed.

m

Archived