Gibson Brands Forums

Lately it seems like...

Dub-T-123

Just about every day I love my Squier Tele more and more.

In fact, I feel the same way about my Strat too.

And you just can not play any Rolling Stones stuff without a Tele. It just doesn't sound right to me on any other guitar.

Searcy...

Yeah, to me the nut's a lot too narrow. I like a neck that my fingers seem to make work for me, 'stedda against me and Fenders just never did the job. I like the Tele sound, but not enough to buy one.

m

I've never found the nut-width on my Tele to be particularly narrow. It's pretty wide compared to a late 60s Gibson. Then again, I like them narrow..

It took me a while to get used to the neck. Mainly the fret radius. It used to hurt my hand to play barre chords on it. It's grown on me though and I dig it. I mainly just love it for the sound.

I've never found the nut-width on my Tele to be particularly narrow. It's pretty wide compared to a late 60s Gibson. Then again, I like them narrow..

It took me a while to get used to the neck. Mainly the fret radius. It used to hurt my hand to play barre chords on it. It's grown on me though and I dig it. I mainly just love it for the sound.

Yeah, I went through a period, where I like the maple fretboards, but I seem to be more inclined to

Rosewood, at this particular time. So, a MIM '60's (White) Telecaster is definitely on my "to get"

list! ;>)

CB

CB....

A cupla factors on "F" necks. Mostly, I think, it's the radius. That's actually why Roy B. preferred the darned thing.

And when I was messing with other types of guitars a lot in the mid-late 60s and 70s, every "F" I touched seemed like a ball bat 'stedda a guitar neck.

I think some of the blame may come because I'd been mostly playing either classical necks or 12-string necks, both of which are of course both wide and flat. The narrower nut and sharper radius on the fingerboard just feels so odd it makes it hard to play. Probably if I only had a Tele for a year I'd get far past that, but... no need, so no deed.

m

Thanks, Milrod. I wondered, if it was that...or possibly, the longer "scale," that you didn't like?

CB

CB...

I dunno. I think it's probably an accumulation of things. Fretboard radius, nut width...

And one other point. I'd never played a 335 type at length in spite of having a coupla variations in the olden days - including the Gretsch I stupidly "dumped."

So... After an initial error with another brand, I got a Dot. Loved the sound mostly. Loved the fingerboard but... Doggone, it seemed like the nut was narrower than "standard" as claimed.

I mentioned it to Jim R, "Epi1." Then I sent him some pix. Nope; standard.

The only thing I can figure out is that the body shape/weight has me extending my left arm more than on my other guitars - thus a different angle on the strings.

You're also correct in that I'd kinda like to try even a slightly shorter scale.

I think starting on a classical guitar made a bigger impression on my head than one might imagine. Heck, I did everything from ultra folkie to a little bit of Celtic to a little flamenco to blues to ... Link Wray's "Rumble" on one of the things.

Nowadays I like a string and fingerboard I can almost play with, in theory, little or no right hand at all if I want to. So...

Heck, I dunno. <grin>

m

Archived