Gibson Brands Forums

Volume Control Only Setup vs Tone and Volume

BlueEpiphone

My friend has a Les Paul-style guitar with two humbuckers, single tone and volume controls and 3-way switch. He asked me to rewire his guitar but he would like to configure for two separate volume controls and dispense with the tone control. Both pots are 500K audio taper and will be retained for the new configuration. I started to wonder how the volume pots would behave in parallel (3-way switch in the middle postion).

I also really don't know enough about how this setup performs in a guitar so I can't talk him out of the idea. Any opinions/ideas? Again, thank you very much.

I would say that two volumes would be the more versatile for gigging as it permits the setting of different volumes which can be selected with the flick of a switch, unless of course he has some sort of volume or boost pedal.

I rarely use the tone controls on my guits that have them, but I'm more of a rock/metal player.

Alan

I would say that two volumes would be the more versatile for gigging as it permits the setting of different volumes which can be selected with the flick of a switch, unless of course he has some sort of volume or boost pedal.

I rarely use the tone controls on my guits that have them, but I'm more of a rock/metal player.

Alan

+1

AlanH hit it right on the head!

Yep, should work just fine!

with a tone control, the cap is always in the cicuit as is the pot, and acts like a second volume to an extent, that is a second volume for the trable frequencies. so, if you cut the cap out it will get brighter, and if you cut the pot out will get brighter still, as well as louder.

so, cutting the tone control out altogether will make it both significantly louder and brighter, it will change it quite a bit.

with 2 volumes, it will not be different than one, when switching from one pup to the other, as it will be wired with one pot per pup. it will work exactly the same as it would with both going through the same pot. when using both in the middle postion, there will be slight differences in interaction, but not a lot. when there is a wiring scheme to alter the interaction, it is usually the way the tone pots come into the circuit that causes the changes.

with a tone control, the cap is always in the cicuit as is the pot, and acts like a second volume to an extent, that is a second volume for the trable frequencies. so, if you cut the cap out it will get brighter, and if you cut the pot out will get brighter still, as well as louder.

so, cutting the tone control out altogether will make it both significantly louder and brighter, it will change it quite a bit.

with 2 volumes, it will not be different than one, when switching from one pup to the other, as it will be wired with one pot per pup. it will work exactly the same as it would with both going through the same pot. when using both in the middle postion, there will be slight differences in interaction, but not a lot. when there is a wiring scheme to alter the interaction, it is usually the way the tone pots come into the circuit that causes the changes.

Well that seems to refute my assertion but, in my defence, I'm not an electronics person. Come to think of it, I've never seen a vol vol only guitar.

So would he be better drilling out for an extra second volume pot and keeping the tone pot?

Alan

All good advice. I showed my friend these posts and he wants the two volume setup. Thats a good point about quickly being able to set different volumes.

Once again, thank you. I would have never gotten so far with this DIY guitar stuff if I had relied on the advice of the incompetent (and disinterested) clowns that staff my local music shops (even after buying their overpriced goods). We were going to buy some new pots from #%$%#@ but they consistently err on their advice and can't get excited unless I'm buying a guitar. I told my friend I would glady install new pots another timeif he promises to get them online. I'm going to try this setup with the original pots and new shielded wire. I'm off....

THANKS!

Well that seems to refute my assertion but, in my defence, I'm not an electronics person. Come to think of it, I've never seen a vol vol only guitar.

So would he be better drilling out for an extra second volume pot and keeping the tone pot?

Alan

i would not see that it refutes your assertion: some use separate volumes the way you described. when it comes to that, it would have to be purely based on preference and what you are used to having for volume control, would'nt it?

for those that want to have their volume levels preset for each pup and access at the flip of a switch, separate volomes would do it. on the other hand, some like to ride on the volume and just want one for everything. all depends on what you want it to do.

as for the tone change, some actually use the tone contral and use different settings, some don't. for a guy that doesn't, why have it?

but you do bring up a point: if the tone is too bright with no tone control, that could be mitigated by changing the value of the volume pot, to say, 300k or 250k to closer match the output and tone of having the tone control. good point you bring up.

Change of plans: Now my friend would like me to wire the pups directly to a stereo jack. From there the unattenuated pickup signals will be passed to a breakout box that I will equip with a breadboard so we can experiment with different passive (and maybe active?) components. When we arrive at the desired setup, I'll solder together a circuitboard. Like me he doesen't perform on stage and plays through his PC. He says he has no problem being tethered to a box but if he wants it miniaturized and fitted in the control cavity he'll need some money to pay for my SMT soldering lessons (SMT's are those tiny electronic components that are surface mounted). And no, we are both sober right now (the women are drinking).

We abandoned the project when my friend's wife said she will pay for a new guitar to give him as an early birthday present. He says he will get the best Epi under $350 but I'm worried he'll pick out a POS if he doesen't calm down and wait until tommorow. The music store is going to close here soon. I won't go with him today but I will remind him that he stated that he is getting an LP Epi. with that money. He's already heading out the door and very excited which means he may end up getting confused once he gets there. HNGD????

you stated earlier that you were not drinking, but the ladies were..

please, tell us what it was. we would very much like to know.

i would like to get some for my house and start experimenting asap.

BRAVO, BRAVO! HEAR, HEAR!!!!!

[thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

WHAT IS THE STUFF??????? Love Potion number 99?

Jest drop a few bits in your gal's drink and..... SHAZAM!!!!! -

A NEW GUITAR?????????

if, it is not to late to make a suggestion. How bout you get ride of the switch. IT is really not needed. do a 2 vol (independent of course) and a master tone setup. That way you can blend the pups in however you want. you can always turn one down to 0 to just have the other active. It may not be as loud or brighter than no tone at all, but it will be a definite difference in sound and the ability to blend in the pups with independent volume controls would be awesome.

you stated earlier that you were not drinking, but the ladies were..

please, tell us what it was. we would very much like to know. i would like to get some for my house and start experimenting asap.

I would like to think that it only took some wine to make his wife decide to get him a new guitar but he did a lot of behind the scenes whining. His wife said he was complaining about his guitar all week. She said I should help him find the right guitar because he picked the last one himself. These may or may not be facts but they are now here for him to read when he returns....

Archived