Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on an unknown SG

dandan12

Hi,

I've just recently inherited a Gibson SG, which looks to be quite old, im guessing 60/70/80s, however i dont know, and there is also a chance that the gibson could be a fake, as i cant find a serial number anywhere on the body, however the person who i inherited it from would never have bought a fake as they knew alot about guitars, is there any advice that can be given about how i would find out firstly if it is a fake, and secondly if it is not how old it is,

Thanks alot in advance

Dan

Dots and P-90s = SG Special. Looks like someone painted a crown "inlay" on the headstock - Specials didn't have the inlay. And the shape of the headstock is a little "off." The shape may just be manufacturing variations but it makes it look a bit suspicious. Take the cover off of the control cavity and get some clear pictures of the pots - also the back of the headstock so we can see the tuners - that will help with age and maybe whether or not it's real.

Guys, if you aren't sure, don't go screaming fake. I'm 95% sure it's real. It's a 68/69 SG Special. Looks like it's been hacked on a bit though.It looks as if someone removed the headstock veneer and painted the wood black and stenciled a Gibson logo back on. That being said, with a little TLC it could be a sweet guitar.

Slightly big headstock - early Norlin (?)

Got a wrap bridge thats on backwards.

And the Maestro trem looks like it was replaced/rechromed and a different arm was added.

Small reflector knobs.

Turners are right, and the top TRC screw above the 2 E tuning posts.

The crown - that's a bit of a flag, but it's probably a hack job to look cool. Everything else looks legit (I think).

You sure you can't see a serial# on the back of the headstock near the top? . . . Was it refinished?

1968/69 Special -

sg2.jpg

sg1.jpg

sg3.jpg

I looks really close to my 68 Special. I have owned it since 1969 and it is all original. The only thing I don't have is the screw holding the Whammy bar. I lost it years ago. I found a Phillips head 10/32 tht works.

The bar on the OPs guitar is not correct. The headstock on his has been painted.

1968sg.jpg

sgheadstock.jpg

i cant see a serial number anywhere on the headstock, there is a chance it could have been, but not to my knowledge since i inherited it from a grandfather who i hardly knew, so i dont know much about this guitar.

Cheers

Dan

What you hve to realize is that this guitar is probably 43 years old. A lot can happen to a guitar in that much time.

I was tempted over the years to mod mine but I was talked out of it by a savvy tech. The Whammy bar looks like a fender one. It has a threaded end that would fit into the threaded hole on the Vibrolo. The original one had a plastic washer and a screw and the screw fit through the handle and threaded into the Vibrolo. The vibrolo looks original, and the compensated bridge is correct. The P90s with the dot neck. I don't know what tuners they are, but the ones on mine are the correct ones for the 68 special. I would clean it up and see if you can find the orginal whammy bar. If not you can find replacements. I would not say it is in bad conditon. A lot of guys like that. I would definitely try to remove the gold crown on the headstock. I would get a pro to look at it.

I found one of the old Protector cases, that look like a chainsaw case. This one was NOS still in the plastic. It works well with the SG.

If you want any other pictures or help with anything else I can take a look. Also the neck will be one of those "baseball Bat" necks. I have never had to adjust the neck on my in 43 years.

With a little TLC you have a pretty collectible guitar. I think you will be surprised by any appraisal.

again thanks for all the help, and the three main things that lead me to think it was a fake was the lack of a serial number, the look of the 'gibson' on the headstock, as i thought they were generally much shinier, and how there is no screw holes for where the truss rod cover goes. if it was real what degree of work would it be possible to do without affecting value, as i want it to be nice to play, and still retain the value as much as possible

again thanks for all the help, and the two main things that lead me to think it was a fake was the lack of a serial number, and the look of the 'gibson' on the headstock, as i thought they were generally much shinier, if it was real what degree of work would it be possible to do without affecting value, as i want it to be nice to play, and still retain the value as much as possible

One more picture of the control cavity. Mine looks a little different. I know it is untouched and original.

P3140211.jpg

As far as what you can do for it I would do the cosmetic things such as replace the cover on the truss rod. I can't see any screw holes but it should be two only top and bottom.

I took the bar off mine and dont' use one anyway. Get a good set up done and clean it up. Mine has the lowest action of nay of my Gibsons. Give it a good cleaning and play it. If you are familiar with P90s they can be a little noisey, thus the reason for the Humbucker pickup. I would take it to a reputable store and have it checked out

But remember there are few experts on a 43 year old guitar, as you can see from some of the replies.

I don't know how it double posted. It froze and then cam back with two posts. I don't know how to cancel one.

Oh and another thing. In the picture of my headstock you might note the missing Dot on the I. This is fairly rare and I have heard of several other 68s with this situation.

Archived