Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Strings, what do you surgest?

I always use Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys, they've always been the best for me. I bought a set of D'Addario strings once to put on a guitar I was selling, something about them was weird, I didn't like them. TBH, the only other strings I have experience with are DR "extra life" Silver Stars, I bought two sets a few months ago, I never put on the second one because the first set was corroded and rusted within 3 days, they're the only coated strings I've ever tried, and the only strings I've ever had that have gotten corroded and rust, I recommend you avoid them.

I use them a lot, and have yet to be disappointed. Make sure they're the made-in-USA, not counterfiet ones...

Funny, cuz that pic is the counterfeit packaging.

Anyhoo, I use D'addarios (9's) and they work fine for me. I buy them because they are cheap and when I play a lot, I change strings a lot....except recently.

Well, actually, I havent changed any guitar strings in almost a year. [cursing]

BUT...I still have D'addarios on the axe I play all the time and after almost a year of hard playing and lots and lots of string bending, I havent broken one yet. Of course, they are very dead and wont stay in tune or intonate anymore. But, I'm pretty sure I have fakes on it right now too.

d'addario's are just dang good strings. the are extremely consistant and intonate well. they aren't as bright as a lot of the other strings like ghs and markley's, and not quite as smooth in feel and sound as slinky's. they fall pretty much in between.

i like to think of those as the string to use when you aren't sure what you like best. i think the best string to use as well for getting a handle on what strings might work better if you want something different.

i'm a little confused by what i hear of poeple having problems with them. unless they changed the manufacture in the last 4 years or so, or like has been suggested, they are fakes. d'addario has a well established reputation for quality, if not the best, by reputation.

I use them a lot, and have yet to be disappointed. Make sure they're the made-in-USA, not counterfeit ones...

http://www.daddario....owRes_12587.pdf

I agree with brianh - I've used these D'Addario for some time and they are always consistent in quality. A luthier told me he likes them because they are good strings and are available pretty much anywhere on earth. For me, the 10s cover most musical territory except perhaps the heavy metal genre.

That statement makes sense because if you get your guitar set up for a certain brand or gauge of string, then you may have problems if they become unavailable in future.

Stewart B

As a few of you may recall ... I'm sponsored by Ernie Ball strings ...

So BUY 'em, PLAY 'em, CHANGE 'em, BUY 'em some more! [biggrin]

By the way, if you're looking to try a really great coated string, check out Cleartones ... they rock!

Jim

I wear Elixir 9-42 on all but one electric. They feel a little "heavier" than most others at that gauge. For quick gig backups I carry a set of 9-42 Ernies that are a lot less expensive "just in case." I haven't broken a string in decades, but darned if I wanna lose a string without backup.

I'll tend to agree about the pure nickel being a bit warmer. But it may be we're fooling ourselves. I think the Elixirs are a little warmer than some at the same gauge, too... which is kinda my intent anyway.

Cleartones... I got talked into one set. Never again. Don't like the feel at all. They hit me for $20 and as soon as I got a replacement Elixir set, stedda slowly unwinding for an emergency backup, I cut 'em off the guitar. I know folks who swear by 'em, though. I'm just not one of 'em.

The old early-mid 70s Guild S100c SG "clone" wears 8-38 and is awfully warm with the Ernies that size. The all-nickel ones are a bit better at that gauge I think.

As for the acoustic/elecrics... I'm still experimenting again. I tend to prefer Elixir, but they don't make a reeeeally light set. So... DR Zebra in 9-42. Yup. that's awfully light for an AE. They sound a lot better through an amp, but I've got a really light hand on 'em for fingerpicking.

I think string "satisfaction" is a combination of having a string that gives you a sound you like even if you have to set the amp differently on different types, and liking the feel since some will seem more "sandpapery" or whatever.

There are lots of variations that some folks will find meet their needs or inclinations and keep buying for years. I've tended to be that way... maybe 10-year spurts of this or that kinda string.

Keep playing, you may use the same kind forever, you may not. And... at some points in life getting what's on sale in a given gauge ain't all that bad a deal, especially if you're hard on strings for whatever reason.

m

A forum member recommended these to me a good while ago, I believe it was Swoop. Not sure.

dr_pb.jpg

These are AMAZING if you do a lot of bending. Excellent life, excellent tone, and they intonate very well. I tried some D'Addario Jazz/Blues and I hated them.

Like everyone else has said, people have they're own personal preferences for strings. Find a set you like and stick with them.

A forum member recommended these to me a good while ago, I believe it was Swoop. Not sure.

dr_pb.jpg

These are AMAZING if you do a lot of bending. Excellent life, excellent tone, and they intonate very well. I tried some D'Addario Jazz/Blues and I hated them.

Like everyone else has said, people have they're own personal preferences for strings. Find a set you like and stick with them.

+1 on these strings. I use the 11's on both of my Hollowbody Archtops. My Strats use the GHS Burnished Nickel strings. Great vintage tone from both brands. It all depends what type of music you like to play. I love Clean Blues personally.

I agree with those experimenters out there. Experiment to your little heart's content. I used to play Elixir NanoWeb 10s exclusively. But 1 day the guy was out of them so I had to slum over to the "cheap" strings. I found I like the feel of the slinky 10s better. The Elixirs sound better, but it started me on a search for all things strings. I have some pure nickels I haven't put on yet, just waiting for the next time I need to change them. I'm also looking for the stainless strings from D'Daddario or Fender. The local guy carries them but a single buyer snags them all as soon as he gets some in. Doesn't mean they're any good but something's up.

So experiment. They're cheap & don't last very long anyway......

Good Luck

I used to swear by Ernie Ball Super Slinky's, I just thought they sounded a little brighter for whatever reason. But then I started breaking them often - still no idea why,

I ended up switching to D'Addario's and never looked back. They seem to keep their "newness" a little longer than the Super Slinkys anyway.

As a side benefit, I am supporting the New York/Long Island economy by buying D'Addario (Farmingdale, NY). [thumbup]

I tried Ernie Ball years ago and didnt care for them, they discolored and tarnished after the first play.

Did the D'Addario XL too but didnt care for them either, dont recall why.

Landed on the Elixirs and was happy with tone and durability for many years.

About a year and a half ago i decided it was time to try something else. I started using Dean Markley Electric (1972's) or something like that, it's the yellow package. Good tone and durability as well.

Archived