Gibson Brands Forums

New SG

Foofyter

Si here is my new SG - I love it. Curious though - any suggested bridges to upgrade to for better tunining stability and tone, or the one that comes stock is just fine?

I've replaced the bridge pup with an Angus Young pup.

Welcome to the Forum

I surgest you pull the strings a few times while tuning it?

It sounds like something I forgot about at the begining of learning myself...

It goes out of tune real fast otherwise as the strings aren't properly tought yet

After this it takes ALOT longer to go out of tune, usually 1-2 days (usually by just a sharp on the GBE (4-6))

Best of luck [thumbup]

Here it is, hope the pic finally worked this time!

That's one nice guitar! I got one just like that recently, although it's in the classic cherry red. I was also considering a custom one with a yellow (or was it lemon?) sunburst finish, but I decided to get the cherry one (mostly because of the price and because both sounded pretty close to me).

If tuning stability is an issue, then it would probably be worth upgrading the tuners rather than the bridge.

Nice axe by the way [thumbup]

Oh, and if your axe is brand spanking new it probably has the factory fitted strings...these are often poor quality.

do you have any other SG's? if not, you'll soon be addicted to the darn things. Light weight, sweet tone, and sheer awesomeness, what more could you want?

So true, Im looking at another. But dunno Have my Cherry one. Very tempting

do you have any other SG's? if not, you'll soon be addicted to the darn things. Light weight, sweet tone, and sheer awesomeness, what more could you want?

I LOVE SGs. I have a few others - 2006 Gibson Ebony, 1976 Gibson Walnut, 1993 Gibson Cherry. I LOVE SGs!

I'll get some pics of them

I have the Alpine White version. Can't tell from the photo if yours is white, cream, or yellow. But if you're pleased with it that's great. I love the white. It's an angelish kind of devil.

For upgrades for tuning the best thing you can do is get the nut filed correctly. I'm still trying to figure mine out. I couldn't find a local tech/luthier who could handle it. So I'm learning.

The bridge is good. I think the sustain balance is very tilted towards the lower frequency strings. I changed to the string saver saddles to try & even this out. Made a little difference, but not enough. I may experiment with alloy bridges to see if it improves the sustain, we'll see. The Epi Lock-Tone Bridge is quite good & rattle free.

I'm going to replace the pick-ups with the SD P-Rails. I'm trying to find white pearl keystone tuners. They're out there somewhere. I also want to replace the black knobs with white speed knobs. There out there too, I just need to find some.

Other than that I have no grand plans. The guitar is a player's instrument. In Alpine White it's a sweet looking guitar to boot.

Enjoy. [thumbup]

Archived