Gibson Brands Forums

"Soapbar" P-90's

Uberriff

Just wanted to apologize to all guitar aficiandos/lovers for my stupid posting of a few days ago.

I asked what "Soapbar" P-90's were and how they differed from 'ordinary' P-90's.

I was getting into bed later (much, much later) that night when it hit me... Of course it's not a difference in electronics, it's just because they look like bars of soap.

What a Dunce! Uberriff? Ubersimple.

Wanted to apologize because I'd hate if someone knowledgable ignored something actually important I might ask in the future.

Hope I'm not thrown out of the gang for this.

what is important? you mean how might a pickup played in a nuclear reactor affect its operation?

for one, it wasn't that all a stupid question if you didn't know what it was. also, there are no stupid questions here, as a lot of it has to do with terms and such that sometimes only someone might know if they asked, and also, we do have a sense of humor, but not all jokes can be funny because we are not professional comedians. we try, but we don't do it at other's expense. at least we try not to.

if we were to be required to have a complete lack of ignorance to be able to contribute here, we could not exist. there isn't a test.

you pass, btw.

Dont worry .. it is not always obvious.

The term soap bar actually comes from the type of bar magnet used in these pickups.

Single - Open - AFerous Polarized.

Basically Monopole magnets made without Iront (the AFerous part)

This give the pickup a much warmer sound because of its limited frequency range.

The other type of p90 is called a Dogear. It has normal alnico X magnets that have an extremly extended high frequency range ("you need to have dog ears to hear it")

All very very confusing.

3....... 2..... 1..... ;)

The term soap bar actually comes from the type of bar magnet used in these pickups.

Single - Open - AFerous Polarized.

Basically Monopole magnets made without Iront (the AFerous part)

This gives the pickup a much warmer sound because of its limited frequency range.

The other type of p90 is called a Dogear. It has normal alnico X magnets that have an extremly extended high frequency range ("you need to have dog ears to hear it")

Wow...I did not know that. I always thought those nick names were based on the shape of the former and the mounting tabs on the latter.

Heyo!

McMahon.jpg

actually, it is a term that describes the mounting-one is a soapbar and one is a dogear. that is what it is used to describe. but it is also absolutely true that a lot of nicknames or terms adopt multiple meanings and multiple reasons can be accurate.

remember the rumor that tv yellow was to better show up on b/w televisions? well, perhaps it does. i have a "96 that is supposed to be tv yellow, but the color ain't quite the same as a 50's. so, i call it cable yellow. it shows up better on cable tv, i think. and the new ones are brighter yet still, obviously because now there is hdtv and we can see that better, so that color is HD yellow.

actually, it is a term that describes the mounting-one is a soapbar and one is a dogear. that is what it is used to describe. but it is also absolutely true that a lot of nicknames or terms adopt multiple meanings and multiple reasons can be accurate.

remember the rumor that tv yellow was to better show up on b/w televisions? well, perhaps it does. i have a "96 that is supposed to be tv yellow, but the color ain't quite the same as a 50's. so, i call it cable yellow. it shows up better on cable tv, i think. and the new ones are brighter yet still, obviously because now there is hdtv and we can see that better, so that color is HD yellow.

When do they come out with the 3D yellow? And do you have to wear funny glasses?

Your too hard on yourself. LOL! All of us want to know about certain PUPS, Caps, etc...No sweat. I think your questions have been answered. I still find myself finding some great info on P90's and other PUPs. P90's RULE IMO!

Just wanted to apologize to all guitar aficiandos/lovers for my stupid posting of a few days ago.

I asked what "Soapbar" P-90's were and how they differed from 'ordinary' P-90's.

Don't be concerned. We've all heard/said things like this. For instance - I was trying to find some black replacement covers for dog-ear P90s. I called a guitar store and asked the kid at the accessories counter if they had black dog-eared pickup covers. He replied - "I don't think so - I've never heard of black-dog pickups!"

I'm curious as to how a p-90 would sound in an G-400 neck with HB bridge. Or would that just be stupid? The neck HB on my G-400 sounds like crap through my Marshall amp. Trying to find videos of this, but haven't come across one yet.

Not stupid at all. From what I've read on forums over the years, that seems to be a popular combination. Haven't personally played such a guitar, but I do have GFS Mean 90s in one of my guitars, and I think they're quite good. You could spend under 40 bucks on a Mean 90 (just one example), and try it out on the cheap. Did you order that other stuff yet?

i notice that a lot of guys have the pup too high there, and my guess is they either don't use it or they like that "mud" sound. you maight try lowering it just for the heck of it and see what you think..i mean drop that baby.

like the lunatic says, your idea seems to be a popular one. there are guys here that have done it that will problably read your post and have all kinds of good stuff to tell you.

Not stupid at all. From what I've read on forums over the years, that seems to be a popular combination. Haven't personally played such a guitar, but I do have GFS Mean 90s in one of my guitars, and I think they're quite good. You could spend under 40 bucks on a Mean 90 (just one example), and try it out on the cheap. Did you order that other stuff yet?

Yeah, I ordered yesterday. Wire, pickguard screws, and the rewire kit.

Ironically I just got finished wathcing this video and I have to say those Mean 90's sound a lot better than his stock Epi's. I should probably take the previous advice given to me and get a new amp first, but my Fender in comparison to my Epi sounds so much better. I don't know if it's the Fender humbucker that sounds better, or the better quality wood or whatever, but man what a difference. Less muddy, warmer, and I guess you could say fuller. I wish I could mate the two. GFS seems like a great place to start experimenting with different pickups since they're so affordable.

i notice that a lot of guys have the pup too high there, and my guess is they either don't use it or they like that "mud" sound. you maight try lowering it just for the heck of it and see what you think..i mean drop that baby.

like the lunatic says, your idea seems to be a popular one. there are guys here that have done it that will problably read your post and have all kinds of good stuff to tell you.

I actually tried lowering the neck pickup a couple weeks back, only because my pick kept getting stuffed on it. I made it flush and it sounded awful. So I kept raising it until it sounded better, but I think I'm back where I started. So many variables, it's crazy.

I was thinking that you coulda bought a Mean 90 and bundled the shipping charges, maybe saving some money. While there's quite a bit of debate about other GFS pickups, there's almost universal liking for the Mean 90. And Guitar Fetish has a "try-it-or-return-it" policy of some sort.

I don't want to seem like I'm pushing Guitar Fetish - I just think they're a good source for budget guitar stuff.

Archived