Gibson Brands Forums

I have Gibson pickups on my Epiphone, is there a difference with a Gibson?

alans056

Hi I have a Gibson & Epi with Gibson pickups in. The output isn't that different. Its purely a slight resonation difference between the 2 wood types.

The only thing that would make a BIG difference is capacitors (Black beauties & Bumble Bees) But their relatively easy to find & inexpensive to buy & fit.

The closest Epi's to Gibsons are the 59's, 60's, Tribute & Bonamassa. The Slash uses Seymours so im not sure if I'd included that...

The debate will be endless, but here's my $.02:

I've owned three Gibbys - a 78 LP Custom, a 79 LP Custom, and a 79 The Paul.

That was back in the day when the $$$ allowed such things. Ah, sweet memories.

Fast-Forward to the future....

I bought my EPI LPs because I've always liked EPIs, and Post-Military, they were

more affordable. I wanted a little more PUNCH (like I remembered), so I ebayed a

couple of "used" sets of 490R/498Ts for $110 a SET, and a couple of sets of Gibby

Tulip Tuners at about $35 a set.

Also went with new Pots and Sprague Orange Drop Caps.

Did my upgrades, and haven't changed a thing since, and that was over 1 and 1/2 years ago.

I have the TONE I want, and the LOOK I want, and Cash-wise my total investment (including case)

on each guitar is about $500. I'll never re-coup my total investment if I sold, but I'm not selling

them, I'm PLAYING them! [biggrin]

Animalfarm did good. Animalfarm is happy. If YOU'RE happy, all is good.

2006 Epi LP Classic (Amber Quilt Top), 498T/490R Gibson pups, Gibson Deluxe Tulip Tuners

2008 Epi LP Studio (Worn Brown), 498T/490R Gibson pups, Gibson Deluxe Tulip Tuners

you know, that is actually a good question that brings up a few things.

this, considering the using the same pups in diferent guitars:

one way to look at it is the sound you hear is both the guitar itself and the electronics. strings matter too, but we don't think about that because we all use the same strings. accoustically, what the guitar sounds like is both the actual guitar AND the strings. so with an epi, you have actually 2/3 of the important parts that contribute to the sound. the effect is maybe more so when you consider there is more interaction happening with the string from the pup than the wood of the guitar.

now, of corse, there will be resonences and articulations that a gibson has that the epi doesn't. different wood will sound different, as well as the finish. this will always have an effect on the overall sound. but to put things in a perspective, you can also have 2 gibsons that sound very different accoustically, and even, dare i say, a gibson that sounds like crap. in a lot of cases, an epi and a gibson can sound closer to each other than 2 gibsons.

in practice, if you are going for, say, the sound of a vintage lp, an epi with vintage pups is going to sound closer to that than the other way around-even an actual vintage lp with say, really hot non-vintage style pups.

no matter how good the guitar if it has crappy eletronics, it will always sound like crap. you can get a surprisingly good sound out of a decent sounding guitar with great electronics. i know a lot of extremely poor musicians that do this. it is accurate to say that a epi with good electronics will always sound better than a gibby with poor electronics.

thanks a lot for the info!

by electronics you mean the wires between the caps and the switch ?

well, actually everything. the most difference will be with the pups. the cap makes a big difference as well. the pots, i don't think so much like a lot of poeple, so long as they are the right value and taper. the wiring, i'm guessing very likely some contribution.

i have only done 2 gibsons, and to be truthful, i have found that there is as much difference with the rest of the electronics as the pups, but the pups being the biggest factor. i already had the switchcraft swicth and started with the cts pots.

with fenders, however, i can't even remember how many. they are very different than a gibson. i found that the pots from japan are actually better sounding than cts, and there is a certain switch that sounds far better, and the wire makes little difference. (but yet the wire seems to matter in a gibson? thats what i hear from my experiments).

in short, the pups matter most, and these other thing can and do also make a difference. i think those are top notch pups you have, as well.

I'm sure the pickups helped.......a lot! Now, just upgrade the rest of the electronics, and you may even end up sounding better than many real Gibby's due to the fact you are using higher quality electronics! :D The woods are allegedly of similar species between Gibson and Epiphone, so if you have similar wood, and equal or better electronics, you should have tone that is comparable between the 2. OR, instead of making a $1000 Epiphone after all these upgrades (including hardware), just play what you've got until you can save up and buy at least a gloss finished LP Studio (the Gibson). Those 490R/498T's will make you very happy. The LP Studio is one heck of a guitar for $1300 !!! ( And so is an SG Standard ! ).

Since you've already got the pup's in, I agree with the others about going ahead and upgrading the rest of the electronics. Personally, I would rather have a customized $1000 Epi with all premium parts than a Gibson LP Studio. I've played at least 10 of them and haven't liked the feel of any. Overpriced IMO (but that applies to everything that says "Gibson" on it).

I did install 490r/498t on my epiphone LP standard and i'm very happy with the result. For almost one third of the price of a gibby studio, i have a better looking guitar and find the sound to be much better too. On my epi ebony standard the finish quality is flawless. Better than those Gibby Studio i've try.

I know I repeat myself, but I'm of the school that the electronics matter more than the name on the headstock. A properly-outfitted Epiphone can be an awesome guitar. The whole Gibson thing has been a ridiculously successful marketing campaign. Anyway, a nice Epiphone is a nice guitar. I know a guy who does custom wiring harnesses for around $55 a pop. PM me if interested. I've purchased three so far.

I really like your clean tone, its great!! And you play very well (was it improv?) !

So, If I would like to upgrade my electronics to have a better sound, what would I have to do exactly ? Because installing the pickups was kind of an adventure for me! So me and electronics... Would it be hard ?

Should I see a guitar tech ? But what should I tell him ? Should I come to him with the new electric parts and tell him "install this please!" ?

My Epi ES175 was converted to Classic 57's and USA electronics. Sounds a hell of alot better than the stocks. Sure beats paying $4000 for a Gibson 175. But being a Full Hollowbody the wood quality is different. But I like it and am pleased with the upgrades.

I would try and find a local luthier to do the job. I always order a wiring harness and drop the whole thing off at the luthier's for installation. You can't believe the difference. In fact, I'll be off with a Riviera and a box of parts today.

I would try and find a local luthier to do the job. I always order a wiring harness and drop the whole thing off at the luthier's for installation. You can't believe the difference. In fact, I'll be off with a Riviera and a box of parts today.

Yeah ALWAYS have the wiring done by a professional, if you have any issues its almost always fixed for FREE

I am tempted to add some bumblebee's to my LPC anyone else use them? (The 0.022 variety)

I got my wiring Harness from MOJO MUSICAL SUPPLY out of North Carolina. Quality parts and fast friendly customer service. Here is a link to the Harnesses for Gibson style guitars. Since the Pots are US made the Holes would have to be slightly enlarged than what the stock asian ones are on Epi's.

http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts/guitar-assemblies-prewired-gibson-style

Thanks a lot, so by "wiring harness" you mean all the electronics in the guitar.

Are there brand you recommend ? What should I look for on ebay ?

EDIT: I just saw the link for the MOJOTONE, so what is the difference between Long shaft and Short shaft assembly ?

And with that, will I hear a good difference in the sound then ? :)

A lot of people apparently don't know what a wiring harness is.

The pre-made assemblies, like the one at Mojo, are made from quality components, and are put together well, but they cost about twice as much as the individual components sold separately, and you still have to solder the pickup leads. I'd assemble it myself, and take the wife out for dinner with the money saved.

Archived