Gibson Brands Forums

I have Gibson pickups on my Epiphone, is there a difference with a Gibson?

alans056

I see. Well my switch selector fails 1/2 times (I have to switch and reswitch several times to get it), there is a slight "kshhhh" when I turn the volume knobs, my jack port is always loose etc... So it might me a good idea!

As for long and short shaft is the thickness of the body left when they drill the holes for the switch and pots. Epiphone are not drill as far from the top as a Gibson Will. So you probably need the long shaft. I did replace my switch and i had to use the short switch because it has longer shaft to screw the nut on it.

I see. Well my switch selector fails 1/2 times (I have to switch and reswitch several times to get it), there is a slight "kshhhh" when I turn the volume knobs, my jack port is always loose etc... So it might me a good idea!

Same with my Epi, which tells me it's time to do the job, and to use CTS and Switchcraft, which will probably last longer (3 years of light use). But I do not expect my Dot to sound better as a result.

I already replaced the jack with Switchcraft, because the ground snapped, and it made sense to replace it for 2 bucks, rather than resolder the old one. The Switchcraft is obviously more robust, because it's harder to pull out the plug compared to my Strat with a new generic jack. And it stays put, too.

But it was said earlier that better electronics would improve the sound ?!

you know, you have to put it into a proper perspective. a lot of it depends on how picky you are and what you think is a big improvement or a little one, or if you can hear any at all.

for example: if you have really crappy high output pickups, and you change to a standard output, but of high quality, and you like that, half of what you may be hearing is the sound going toward the direction you want (and expect) it to go. the opposite could be true: there are many who want a higher output, and getting that gives them what they want, and therefore THAT is considered an improvement.

now, if you are changing from a less quality to a higher quality pickup of the same spec, you will problably notice, but there is no gaureentee you will, especially if you don't listen for it or don't get a "change" that you expect.

now, wiring and experimenting can be fun, and rewiring is really inexpensive, if you do it yourself. but when it starts to get into 100$ for a harness PLUS paying somone to put it in, i might question that, as you may not hear an improvement worth that doller amount to you, and it certainly will not make the guitar worth that much more. perhaps not worth more at all.

the point of all this is to say that there is definitely an improvement to the wiring, and one can compare the improvements before and after the same as with pickups, but how much of an improvement is a subjective thing depending on what one is listening for and what they expect.

i feel in some ways that we might have misled you in thinking that a total rewire is nessesary to get the most of your guitar..it is not. if it is fun to do and you are curious and want to see what you can hear, i say go for it. if it becomes a matter of thinking you must do it to validate your choices in pickups or guitar, it will be money down the tubes spending the cash on it. you might be better off putting that money into an amp or maybe a pedal if you want. or god forbid, a music book. (if i had spent half the time i do messing with things learning to play..lol)

for the diy, things like a switch that works or a cap change are far easier than redoing the whole thing, too you know.

If you check out the MOJOTONE site they have vids showing how to do it yourself. Its pretty easy on a solid body. You need a 2-4 Watt soldering iron. Maybe you could borrow one from someone instead of buying one and never using it again. The harnesses are mounted on a thin board in position as your guitar's pots are aligned. You can pop it right into the guitar. Check the vids at MOJOTONE. It may be in your best interest to do it yourself. Its a good learning experience, and best of all you will feel good that you did it yourself. You could mark the leads on the pups with different color tape, and then when you install the new electronics you will know where they go.. Check it out.

Archived