Gibson Brands Forums

AJ-500 Masterbilt VS

steve_d

I don't think Gibson ever called them "AJ's" (I'm not a Gibson expert by no means). I believe the AJ's were design to look like the J-45. I know Epiphone put out an Elite J-45 tribute years back (just saw one on ebay 2-3 weeks ago). Maybe someday I'll own a J-45, but til then, my AJ-500M in VS will have to do. LOL.

Gibson debuted the Advanced Jumbo in 1936. Production ran until 1940.

The Gibson AJ has been re-issued several times.

I don't think Gibson ever called them "AJ's" (I'm not a Gibson expert by no means). I believe the AJ's were design to look like the J-45. I know Epiphone put out an Elite J-45 tribute years back (just saw one on ebay 2-3 weeks ago). Maybe someday I'll own a J-45, but til then, my AJ-500M in VS will have to do. LOL.

Relax. Unless you were lucky enough to find a Scrugg's AJ, your not giving up much.

I have played the Masterbilt AJ500ME/VS next to the Gibson AJ and the J-45 , and quite frankly couldn't justify

the cost difference. Of course, that could just be my Tin Ear.

Thanks for the input Diverden. Sometimes I just cringe when I see the price tags on some of these guitars. Not just the Gibsons. I can't justify the price. I was going to buy a Gibson Les Paul until I saw the price tag. I ended up with an American Standard Tele with the natural finish and put Joe Barden pups in it. I love it! Under $1100 too. Glad to hear that the AJ-500 is a great playing guitar. I should have mine on Monday and looking forward to playing it. [thumbup]

Okay,

1st (real) post......please forgive my naivete....

So does this mean I SHOULD jump on an Epi AJ 500MVS or I should NOT jump on one.. I posed this question in my intro thread but didn't really get a lot of response - figured I'd hit an emotional chord or something. I have been researching, and man there are 12 million opinions out there, everything from "Cheap Chinese Hide Glue" to Bridges that don't stick, to 'it ain't a gGbby so it can't be that good', to 'Gibson is trading on its name and little else'. I have tried the AJ and compared it to the Southern Jumbo, and frankly, I cannot really tell a lot of difference- there IS some - maybe the Gibby has a touch more fullness, or maybe the Gibby throttles low end a tad more, or maybe a little more timbre (could that be the age of hte wood?), but really, those Epi's seem extremely solid. I LOVE the playability and mellow tone of the J-45/Southerner, nice change from my square-shouldered DR28 cannon. And I love the scale of the Southerner/J45......but I also liked the Epi very much.

Aside from teh scale and the nut width, what is there? I have a chance to pick up an epi AJ500 in sunburst, and (like everybody else has said), it's cost is minute compared to a new J-45 or Southerner. And frankly, the way the nitro finish acts, I may be hesitant to buy a Gbby used. I baby my instruments.

p.s. I just sold two of my beloved Tacomas to finance this, whatever it turns out to be, so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Br

BR,

The bottom line is that it has to sound good to you. I myself am just a novice musician who enjoys a nicely built guitar that sounds good (who doesn't?). Gibsons are out of my price range right now. I just received my AJ-500MVS and I'm holding off I giving my opinion just yet. There are new strings on it and it sounds bright. My DR-500M is much more mellower. Both are built very nice, no excess glue etc...The AJ's action seems a tad high, so eventually when I get it to my luthier for a check up, I'll get that resolved. I've said this before, originally I didn't think much of the chinese made guitars, but my DR-500 changed my mind. I'll be back with a few words about my new AJ-500MVS. Good luck in your search! [thumbup]

BR,

The bottom line is that it has to sound good to you. I myself am just a novice musician who enjoys a nicely built guitar that sounds good (who doesn't?). Gibsons are out of my price range right now. I just received my AJ-500MVS and I'm holding off I giving my opinion just yet. There are new strings on it and it sounds bright. My DR-500M is much more mellower. Both are built very nice, no excess glue etc...The AJ's action seems a tad high, so eventually when I get it to my luthier for a check up, I'll get that resolved. I've said this before, originally I didn't think much of the chinese made guitars, but my DR-500 changed my mind. I'll be back with a few words about my new AJ-500MVS. Good luck in your search! [thumbup]

Thanks.

I do my own setups, play fingerstyle and with a plectrum -- setting yoru guitar up isn't that difficult. Does it come with a bone nut/saddle?

Archived