Gibson Brands Forums

urgent!! Andy!?

icantbuyafender

There are 4 dents in the neck of my prized discontinued guitar...

my 2007 mint gibson dual pickup melody maker...

what can I fill in the dent with? If I run my hand on it and feel the dent I'm never going to forgive myself...

what do I do!?

hmm, well can you post some pics of the dents in question? Depends on how bad they are, where they are etc...

hmm, well can you post some pics of the dents in question? Depends on how bad they are, where they are etc...

I used filler/spackle to fill in the dents. now when it dries i can lightly sand off excess.

neck.jpg

not so bad, i think... whats the best way to go about removing excess? ultra fine sand paper?

I used filler/spackle to fill in the dents. now when it dries i can lightly sand off excess.

neck.jpg

not so bad, i think... whats the best way to go about removing excess? ultra fine sand paper?

for that, i would CAREFULLY scrape with a razor blade. the issue with spackle and sanding is with fine sandpaper, it will be hard to sand flat, and may also be harder to sand than the finish. (you might be doing more damage to the finish)

thinking maybe spackle not the way to go? it won't hold up to well without a finish.

for that, i would CAREFULLY scrape with a razor blade. the issue with spackle and sanding is with fine sandpaper, it will be hard to sand flat, and may also be harder to sand than the finish. (you might be doing more damage to the finish)

thinking maybe spackle not the way to go? it won't hold up to well without a finish.

well, what filler material would you use?

Just in case this doesnt hold

well, what filler material would you use?

Just in case this doesnt hold

you know, i'm not really sure what i would use. i think i would be inclined to mix up some sawdust from the same wood type/color and some glue, but what glue is best i don't know (maybe andy?).

i fix a lot of wood dents and scrathes and such in my work, but they are purely cosmetic, so i am hip to what it is like to sand various stuff down. i use a lot of putty's too. i am thinking of what i have done in the past, and nothing sounds suitable for your case.

how deep are they? maybe better pics? what caused them?

Was at soundcheck for the little bar we're playing in tonight... the sound guy actually CARES to have it EQ'd right. (god bless him)

i was putting the strap on my #1(2007 modded melody maker) guitar (both were leaning against the wall) and i bumped the white one.

It began its decent in slow-mo so i quickly put #1 up against the wall and grabbed the white one inches before it hit the ground.

Well just my luck that in stepping to the side and reaching for the white one, my shoe caught the strap on the black one and it began its fall.

DIRECTLY ONTO THE WHITE ONE'S NECK I WAS LUCKILY ENOUGH TO CATCH, ONLY TO HAVE THE BLACK ONE LAND ON IT.

Needless to say im pissed because i BABY that white one. (i bought a joan jett gibby, hocked it and kept the case)

Of course the black #1 was unscathed, yet its frets left 4 dings.

At least i have my 3rd melody maker in sunburst that i am going to use in place of the white one.

Ever do that? take your most prided guitar to a gig to show it off, only to have disaster strike.

Yeah......A roadie once ran onstage for some stupid reason and knocked over six guitars I had lined up...Broke the headstocks off an LS6 and an SG...

I also used to smash a lot of nice guitars....I'm all grown up now.........Um, why weren't your guitars on stands ??? That's guitar care 101 ???????????

Yeah......A roadie once ran onstage for some stupid reason and knocked over six guitars I had lined up...Broke the headstocks off an LS6 and an SG...

I also used to smash a lot of nice guitars....I'm all grown up now.........Um, why weren't your guitars on stands ??? That's guitar care 101 ???????????

I put them against the wall to put a strap on one and then take both guitars to their respective stands... for some reason the stands i set up were by amp and the gibby gig bags were on our little "green room" table. So naturally the nearest wall was comandeered for brief use.

Much to my dismay as you can imagine.

So after slamming 2 shots and a beer chaser, i hopped in my car with my white one and rushed home (safe right? ;D) and got to the spackle action. Then i just grabbed the sunburst and hauled it back to the bar. I didnt wanna miss our pre-gig cheers with the other bands.

If the dents weren't too deep you could have tried a wet rag and a hot soldering iron to expand the wood, might have lessened the divots at the least.

Unfortunately that doesn't work on wood with finish on it.

neck.jpg

Well..... I don't think spackle is the way to go but if you want to try it the best way to smooth it down is a sponge damp with warm water. no need for razor blades or sand paper. Thus the inherent problem with your fix.... it will shrink and fall out and be worn down quickly with sweat.

The only "real" way to fix it is to strip it to the bare wood, steam out the dents and refinish the whole thing which isn't practical.

Second best would be to drop fill the dents with clear lacquer. This is where you essentially use either a liquid or heated lacquer and use a pipette of some type and drop the lacquer in.... let it dry , drop the lacquer in let it dry and repeat until the dent is filled with enough layers of lacquer that the lacquer builds up just a bit higher than the surrounding finish. Then you would carefully wet sand down with some 1500 to 2000 grade sandpaper and a small hard rubber block until it is all even. and then polish the finish out.

Third best would be the same procedure above but using a medium thin super glue.

All of the above require, skill, time and patience to do it right and you can make a real mess of the finish if you are not careful as lacquer and super glue will etch into the finish if you drip or spill it .... believe me I know... I had a luthier size bottle of super glue blow out the side of the bottle when I was squeezing a drop into a small finish flaw...

Best recommendation honestly would be to learn to live with it or take it to someone that can perform the fixes I described above.... Sorry I don't have a better answer for you....

The dents and scratches you eventually get over in time until you just see them as the story of your guitar.....

Well..... I don't think spackle is the way to go but if you want to try it the best way to smooth it down is a sponge damp with warm water. no need for razor blades or sand paper. Thus the inherent problem with your fix.... it will shrink and fall out and be worn down quickly with sweat.

The only "real" way to fix it is to strip it to the bare wood, steam out the dents and refinish the whole thing which isn't practical.

Second best would be to drop fill the dents with clear lacquer. This is where you essentially use either a liquid or heated lacquer and use a pipette of some type and drop the lacquer in.... let it dry , drop the lacquer in let it dry and repeat until the dent is filled with enough layers of lacquer that the lacquer builds up just a bit higher than the surrounding finish. Then you would carefully wet sand down with some 1500 to 2000 grade sandpaper and a small hard rubber block until it is all even. and then polish the finish out.

Third best would be the same procedure above but using a medium thin super glue.

All of the above require, skill, time and patience to do it right and you can make a real mess of the finish if you are not careful as lacquer and super glue will etch into the finish if you drip or spill it .... believe me I know... I had a luthier size bottle of super glue blow out the side of the bottle when I was squeezing a drop into a small finish flaw...

Best recommendation honestly would be to learn to live with it or take it to someone that can perform the fixes I described above.... Sorry I don't have a better answer for you....

The dents and scratches you eventually get over in time until you just see them as the story of your guitar.....

actually, to fix it right:

put it in the case, ship it to indiana, then, take out the electronics, strip the finish, strip the fretbaord, reshape headstock...yadda yadda...till there is nothing left but some of the origional wood, and rebuild.

Here is a pic of the back of my SG a week after I got it. My first brand new Gibson I ever bought and the most I had ever paid for a guitar in my life!

8d44368a.jpg

I don't advocate not taking care of your gear but I also believe if your so afraid of a dent or scratch on a guitar that it makes you upset and paranoid then the guitar isn't really yours anyway....

k..idea.. the finish is nitro (oil base?)..

i have heard of using nail polish. ever try that?

Nail polish is usually enamel and I believe it wont "melt" into the original lacquer finish which is what you need to happen so it doesn't just chip out. You also end up with the same amount of work to get it right so you might as well do it right to begin with.

Just my 2 C's

Nail polish is usually enamel and I believe it wont "melt" into the original lacquer finish which is what you need to happen so it doesn't just chip out. You also end up with the same amount of work to get it right so you might as well do it right to begin with.

Just my 2 C's

that was the answer..i didn't know that. ty.

Once I had my bass fall off a stand at a church gig right in the middle of the Pastors message in front of a thousand people. He turned to see what the noise was... Now I always just lay it flat on the floor on the stage next to the amp when I'm not playing.

The refinish or supeglue/lacquer might work, but usually the best thing to do with damage like this is to come up with a really good story on how it happened involving someone famous, hard partying and groupies. Always add the groupies that way pretty much every guy won't even listen to the rest of the story and let's face it women already know your lying so don't waste a good story on them. [thumbup]

There are 4 dents in the neck of my prized discontinued guitar...

my 2007 mint gibson dual pickup melody maker...

what can I fill in the dent with? If I run my hand on it and feel the dent I'm never going to forgive myself...

what do I do!?

Should have bought a Fender.msp_flapper.gif

The refinish or supeglue/lacquer might work, but usually the best thing to do with damage like this is to come up with a really good story on how it happened involving someone famous, hard partying and groupies. Always add the groupies that way pretty much every gut won't even listen to the rest of the story and let's face it women already know your lying so don't waste a good story on them. [thumbup]

+1 on that one[biggrin]

Archived