Gibson Brands Forums

urgent!! Andy!?

icantbuyafender

Should have bought a Fender.msp_flapper.gif

It took me a minute but that is damn funny! [laugh]

Honestly, i bet the rock hard maple neck with gloss finish on a fender would have held up a bit better.

And yeah ... har har har. [flapper]

+1 on that one[biggrin]

Ive concluded that it would have eventually, being the drunk mess i tend to be post-gig.

the spackle will hold up for a while at least.

how does one "steam" a dent out?

With all the banter in this thread, I don't believe the best (and proper) way to remedy your dents has been emphasized greatly enough. SEE BELOW...

Second best would be to drop fill the dents with clear lacquer. This is where you essentially use either a liquid or heated lacquer and use a pipette of some type and drop the lacquer in.... let it dry , drop the lacquer in let it dry and repeat until the dent is filled with enough layers of lacquer that the lacquer builds up just a bit higher than the surrounding finish. Then you would carefully wet sand down with some 1500 to 2000 grade sandpaper and a small hard rubber block until it is all even. and then polish the finish out.

Third best would be the same procedure above but using a medium thin super glue.

I have used this method many times, and it is the generally accepted industry standard method. I use Super Glue for three reasons: 1. The small tubes come with a perfect tip to dispense one small drop at a time.

2. It dries within minutes, so the next drop can be applied in a reasonable time.

3. Super Glue sticks to anything and dries as hard as a rock.

For final smoothing/blending I use "polishing" compound (not "rubbing" compound), and while your at it, use the polishing compound to rub out the entire back of the neck. It will make slick and smooth as a baby's butt. Motorcycle polishing products for use on chrome and aluminum are perfect for this, I use "Mothers".

Another thing in your favor is the natural colored neck, all that is really needed to make you forget about the damage is it being smooth and unnoticeable to the touch. A "drop fill" repair on a stained or painted neck usually remains very visually noticeable.

Good Luck.

With all the banter in this thread, I don't believe the best (and proper) way to remedy your dents has been emphasized greatly enough. SEE BELOW...

I have used this method many times, and it is the generally accepted industry standard method. I use Super Glue for three reasons: 1. The small tubes come with a perfect tip to dispense one small drop at a time.

2. It dries within minutes, so the next drop can be applied in a reasonable time.

For final smoothing/blending I use "polishing" compound (not "rubbing" compound), and while your at it, use the polishing compound to rub out the entire back of the neck. It will make slick and smooth as a baby's butt. Motorcycle polishing products for use on chrome and aluminum are perfect for this, I use "Mothers".

Another thing in your favor is the natural colored neck, all that is really needed to make you forget about the damage is it being smooth and unnoticeable to the touch. A "drop fill" repair on a stained or painted neck usually remains very visually noticeable.

Good Luck.

what types of places would i have to take my guitar to in order to have this done?

There is no qualified guitar tech that does cosmetic work in my town. our techs, all just do wiring jobs and set ups.

would this be a pricey fix if i got someeone else in a different city to do it?

Why the hell did someone put a minus on this post? Plussed back up Andy.

I guess someone thought I was being snotty about it. Glad you knew I wasn't and Thanks! +1 back to ya.

Good Luck.

I agree with you overall and admit I usually go the super Glue route too ( which i still consider to be drop filling[biggrin]) but I have also seen super glue fills shrink after time as well as cause a white haze around some finish repairs in the past. I think it has to do with how much or what catalyst is used in the Super Glue but guessing....

That's why when making a recommendation for someone I personally recommend they go the drop fill route using the same coating used... Never seen the issue you mentioned but not doubting it either. Always best to test somewhere hidden anyway. BTW I thought his neck was a clear coated finished white! Need to get my eyes checked...

Definitely agree that Super Glue is much faster and usually works very well especially on enamel and poly finishes that don't shrink as much as nitro... But your absolutely right IMHO that it does work well in most cases....

Andy

Archived