Gibson Brands Forums

my tortoise died today

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest FarnsBarns

I had this great Hermans tortoise called Mr. T. Today I noticed he was in the same place as when I last saw him yesterday. I picked him up to find he was dead. Mrs. T. Is looking around for him now. I know a tortoise isn't s cuddley pet and you don't get the kind of bond I have with my dog, May, but I am feeling really sad.

RIP Mr. T.

2001-2011

not to sound insensitive (sorry about he pet..but he is with the big pet store now) but it seems you got the resources for quite a few guitar picks there. those things are expensive. do you think that is what mr. t would have wanted?

My mother had a few tortoises, when she was a kid she had a pet Gila Monster..true story...we had goats, chickens (the original fast food), ducks, horses, cattle, too much work for me...I just have two dogs and two cats...

Sorry for you're loss...but you could make a fortune on the black market selling tortoise shell picks....

Thats a bummer I understand totally I have a desert tortoise that was raised in captivity maybe not a pet but very cool animal and really fun to watch as he putters about his life. Mine is just coming out of hibernation now he'll pop out and want food and then he disappears for a few more days. I'd be bummed if he died like I said they may not be warm and fuzzy pets, but there great animated yard sculptures.

Yes, that is a drag. My condolesces. I've never had tortoises, but I use to have a number of different aquatic and semi - acquatic turtles. Fortunately, few of them ever died, at least while I had them. My favorites were the diamond back terrapins that I use to have. I had a 240 custom made acrylic tank made for them , compete with trickle filter protein skimmer (they're brackish water turtles), and an assorment of metal halide and broad spec lights. Their colours are as varied as the colours of a LP! In the spring I'd rig a sand box to the side of the tank so they females coulld lay their eggs. After I got tired of the work, I contacted the appropriate government agencies in the US (I live in Canada), got transport papers, and drove them down to a marine wildlife sanctuary just north of cape May NJ. A happy ending for all.

I also had North American wood turtles, spotted turles, western and midland painted turtles, soft shell turtles, Alabama map turtles, common snapping turtle, and eastern box turtles. I'd love to have a gopher tortoise, they are very cool in my opinion. It would be a lot of work to have them though as they have fairly specific humidity requirements and the winters indoors in Toronto get pretty dry. And, they love to dig, and dig deep. It would inhumane to deprive them of that habit. I also believe they are protected species in the US. There is a fabulous wildlife centre on Tybee Island in Georgia that has a really nice colony of them.

Ya need to get another mate for your four legged pal!

Jared, that's great! My son had a huge salt water set up..lot's of work but very much worth the effort..It's easy to get attached to critters..one of my moms tortoises disappeared she was so upset, darned if it didn't come back after being gone for months..

Guest FarnsBarns

Thanks everyone.

I feel better today, gonna keep an eye out for a new friend for Mrs. T. Thing is, I raised these from babies, it's very expensive to buy a mature tortoise here in the UK. I'm sure the universe will send us an opportunity!

Jared, that's great! My son had a huge salt water set up..lot's of work but very much worth the effort..It's easy to get attached to critters..one of my moms tortoises disappeared she was so upset, darned if it didn't come back after being gone for months..

A lot of my friends had salt water aquiariums with fish and corals. As much as Li liked looking at them, the turltes appealed to me more for some reason. Sometimes I miss it, and then I think about the time that it took, not to mention the money! That tank and all of the equipment to run it was worth thousands of dollars, not to mention the fact that diamond back terrapins eat seafood, and when the water gets cleaned, which needs to happen once a week, it has to be replaced with salt for salt water aquairiums! I wouldn't mind having a smaller set up for something like spotted turtles as they are fresh water, small in size, and wouldn't require a huge set up. I've also considered a tortoise, something like a red foot, as they are quite plentiful, in the exotic pet stores, and fairly easy to house. Then, it starts to sound like more work! I think I'll stick to my guitars for now!

Best of luck in locating another Hermans for your mate. I would thing that there would be a private breeder somewhere in Europe, especially the UK, no?

Losing a pet can be hard. My condolences.

I had a few tortoises as "visitors", when I was a kid. I would find them in the yard and keep them in a big terrarium, but I always let them go after a while, since I figured they missed being free.

I had this great Hermans tortoise called Mr. T. Today I noticed he was in the same place as when I last saw him yesterday. I picked him up to find he was dead. Mrs. T. Is looking around for him now. I know a tortoise isn't s cuddley pet and you don't get the kind of bond I have with my dog, May, but I am feeling really sad.

RIP Mr. T.

2001-2011

I am sorry to hear that. Tortoises have their own personalities and they are like other pets. I have a red foot. Got him as a baby in May/June of 2000 and could not bear to lose him. I hope you find another good friend for the widow.

Archived