Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Epiphone Dot

RichardLe

Got My Epiphone Dot About 2 Weeks ago. I've spent a bit of money on "budget" guitars trying to find one that felt just right. This one played acoustically very well in the store and once I plugged it in I really loved the sound. About 400 out the door with the amp a Line 6 IV 75 watt. I've played a lot of classical but got bit by the jazz and blues bug! Never played a guitar I loved this much. Love the sound as is but going to upgrade with 57 classics and new tone pots and wiring. First guitar I felt like was mine. Just wanted to gush, I know it's not a top of the line but she plays well and look forward to keeping her as my first REAL guitar. lol

dscn1773k.jpg

dscn1772y.jpg

dscn1774r.jpg

Awesome guitar .I just picked up a Deluxe model for 285 out the door.I have 2 higher end strats and am playing this Dot more.I have gigged with it 3 times and love the tone.It is by far the best bang for the buck .Not sure about the pickups , but will prolly swap out the pots and the nut.Very stable tuning wise though.

Love the sound as is but going to upgrade with 57 classics and new tone pots and wiring.

You'll be amazed at the difference if/when you do this. I couldn't be happier with the results. Change the output jack while you're at it.

Dot's are the best bang for the buck out there stock, but they're a great "modder" too.

Welcome to the Dot lover's club! [thumbup]

Yeah I'm still having great fun with it stock! The neck could be a tad clearer but if I work on my articulation with a pick that helps...but I've already ordered the parts! I have two Classic 57's I bought on ebay a 1/3 of the current street price(it's gone up recently I think!) and I have a whole new set of pots and capacitors and a new switchcraft jack coming in the mail. :)

Yeah I'm still having great fun with it stock! The neck could be a tad clearer but if I work on my articulation with a pick that helps...but I've already ordered the parts! I have two Classic 57's I bought on ebay a 1/3 of the current street price(it's gone up recently I think!) and I have a whole new set of pots and capacitors and a new switchcraft jack coming in the mail. :)

Richard, you will have fun modding your new Dot. As others before me have said, it is a good value for money guitar with loads of character. My Dot is pictured below. As well as upgrading the electronics and seeting the wiring as the "gibson 50's wiring", I have installed a TonePros bridge and Tusq nut. The bridge and the nut made a big difference to the sound.

Enjoy your Epi Dot.................

004own.jpg

Stewart B

Stewart B could you explain the 50's style wiring to me? I've wired up a telecaster with 3 pickups and 3 on/off/split switches before(really just two split switches). But I just followed a schematic to get that working. I have to head out to work so I haven't gotten to look at this too closely yet. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/558-wiring-library.html

Any help would be appreciated, I found your old post here http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/53032-some-techo-stuff-epi-bridge-versus-tonepros-bridge/ was very helpful! [thumbup]

Stewart B could you explain the 50's style wiring to me? I've wired up a telecaster with 3 pickups and 3 on/off/split switches before(really just two split switches). But I just followed a schematic to get that working. I have to head out to work so I haven't gotten to look at this too closely yet. http://www.mylespaul...ng-library.html

Any help would be appreciated, I found your old post here http://forum.gibson....onepros-bridge/ was very helpful! [thumbup]

Richard, the following is from a post on the jemsite forum (hope they don't mind me using it) and it shows the "modern" versus "50s". I find that the 50s wiring gives more clarity and range of tone control. There are others on the Epi forum who may be able to give you better descriptions. Hope the info below helps....

Stewart

Use Gibson 50s style wiring to get more tone control

It's an easy mod and easily reversible. But you won't want to reverse it I'll warrant.

Most modern guitars have the tone control circuit connected to the signal coming in to the volume pot (switch or pickup depending on your guitar). This mod connects the tone control the signal coming *out* of the pot. This makes a huge difference in what your tone control does to your sound. You'll find it more responsive and your guitar will retain more high end.

Steps:

1-

Locate the wire connecting the tone pot to the volume pot. It is typically the middle lug of the tone pot to the outside (not grounded) lug of the volume pot. Disconnect at the volume pot and reconnect to ground. You end up with the middle lug of the tone control connected to ground.

2-

Locate the capacitor connected to the tone pot's outside lug and ground.

Disconnect the ground connection of the capacitor and reconnect that wire to the middle lug of the volume pot. You end up with the tone control connected via the capacitor to the output of the volume pot.

That's it. You'll notice a quicker response when turning your tone contol back and more high end when the tone is rolled back as well.

ashley

50smodibanez.gif

Richard,

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the guitar.

StewartB pretty much covered it. Just a couple of things. If you do go with 50s wiring make sure to use audio pots for tone. (they are what you have stock anyway)

I would suggest going with PIO caps to get the most out of it. Some swear by bumble bees and such. Frankly, I use 400 volt Russian military caps at $5 or $6 each. You can buy them off ebay all day long. Bumble bee reproductions go for about $50 a set and they are just Russian military caps that have been painted and put in a fancy box.

If you decide to stick with modern wiring, My personal cap preference is Sprague Orange Drops by Vishay. About a buck or two each.

Other than that you might find some of this interesting....

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/61124-let-me-rephrase-the-question-p94-swap-questions/

Willy

Congrats! Thats very nice!

I have one just like it. Actually I have several DOTs and I love 'em all!!

I've kept mine stock. I'd like to throw in some 57 Classics someday.... but it sounds great as it is.

Here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nu2puCteRc

Nice bit of guitar playing. The "stock" Dot sounds good. Is that a Tubescreamer you are running through?

Stewart B

Archived