Gibson Brands Forums

How to buy a custom guitar......

onewilyfool

Interesting article......one thing they DON'T tell you, is that when you try to SELL a custom guitar, you better bring the vasoline and a barrel.....customs in my experience, stay on the market LONGER, and prices are severely reduced by the time you actually SELL the guitar. You almost never get the cost of the signature, or custom appointments......buyers generally want a J-45, NOT a signed J-45 with Bubinga back and sides.....just my opinion. Also, re-issues of classic Vintage Guitars often cost as much or MORE than getting an actual vintage guitar. Often the sound of the vintage can NOT be reproduced, no matter how closely they follow the vintage "pattern". Something about the crystalization of the resins, the playing, the aging of a vintage that just produces (often not always) a great sound. Anyway, worth the read.....

http://www.acousticguitar.com/article/default.aspx?articleid=27128

hhmmmm....is it considered "custom" if I'd just like a Hummingbird Pro in natural? [-o<

Technically, yes. But the cost of this "customization" will be right around $0.

Here's an example. A friend of mine wanted an Elvis Dove, but with ebony fretboard and bridge rather than rosewood, because he thought it would look better all-black. The cost of this upgrade was just $75. "Custom" does not imply "expensive" with Gibson.

-- Bob R

Here's an example. A friend of mine wanted an Elvis Dove, but with ebony fretboard and bridge rather than rosewood, because he thought it would look better all-black. The cost of this upgrade was just $75. "Custom" does not imply "expensive" with Gibson.

-- Bob R

Wow, I didn't know you could do little things like that! I have always disliked the brown bridge and fretboard onthat Elvis dove and thought it would look better in black too. I'd love to see some pics if you got em!

How much does that Leather cover run you????

Wow, I didn't know you could do little things like that! I have always disliked the brown bridge and fretboard onthat Elvis dove and thought it would look better in black too. I'd love to see some pics if you got em!

-- Bob R

Bob, I wanted to get a SWD Studio w/cutaway without electronics and they wanted to charge me I think it was $150.00 extra. Seems a little steep given that they would be doing less work and not incurring the cost of the Fishman.

I got a stock model from MF, supposedly used but apparently unplayed even with the plastic on the pick guard, for $1350.00. Great guitar, it replaced a Taylor 814ce I had for 10 years.

Archived