Gibson Brands Forums

1990 J-50 Rarity? Value?

Johnny V.

I've been offered a 1990 Bozeman J-50-excellent condition with brown/pink case and paperwork.

I tried to do research and found little information available, so they seem to be pretty rare (both J-45 and J-50 of this era)Any thoughts in terms of value? The guitar needs strings and probably a little setup work,but sounded good as it was-probably just needs to be played!

Thanks in advance for any help, although I need another guitar like I need another (insert proper phrase)!

I have a couple of 1993 J-45s. When looking for these online, they are difficult to find. I don't believe this adds to their value. Rare doesn't imply value, but rather demand.

Still, for my 45s I have seen one for sale for $1500, and it wasn't in the best shape.What is the cost of the J-50 you have been offered? I would imagine $1500-1700.

Hi Ponty,

You might want to check the following link for more info on the value of the J-50 nowadays:

http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/2006/01/gibson-j-50.html

See also attached the specifications of the J-50 taken from the Gruhns Guide to Vintage Guitars.

Kind regards,

Stijn Vergeest

Gibson Europe Customer Service

00800-4GIBSON1

00800-44427661

www.gibson.com

service.europe@gibson.com

J-50.doc

Ponty,

Back in the early 90s Bozeman kind of randomly built J-45s with sunburst finishes as well as with natural finishes. Whether they typed up the label and called it a "J-50" or a J-45" or a J-45N" would not have been a big deal -- it's all the same guitar. I have seen a number of natural-finished J-45s from that time period, so I don't thin overall it would be any more desirable or rare.

Fred

You might want to check the following link for more info on the value of the J-50 nowadays: ...

I would advise you to ignore that link, as it lumps together middle-Norlin-era guitars, the somewhat improved "return to the classic design" models built around '83 and '84 just prior to the sale, guitars built in the first couple of years in Bozeman, and Bozeman-built guitars from later in the first decade. These are very different guitars with significantly different values to players and collectors. (Prices on eBay and craigslist don't always reflect this, as neither buyer nor seller is very knowledgeable in many cases, but dealer prices generally do.) I'd say that the $1500 to $1700 estimate is probably about right for a 1990. Maybe a bit higher if it's an "especially good one". These early Bozeman instruments were pretty much hand-built, and, as a result, are a little more highly valued than the "production" models of just a couple of years later (although, personally, I don't think they're necessarily better guitars), and definitely more highly valued than any from the late-'70s through mid-'80s.

-- Bob R

Gibson/Montana shipped 69 J-50's in 1990. RAR is right. They were pretty much hand built. I knew the guy who did the final sanding on the necks. He had a spindel sander and he would sand them "by eye". To say they were inconsistent would be a kindness. What you got depended on how Leonard was feeling that day. Much has been written about the consistency of Gibson necks and since the era of CNC took over most of that has died down. Just for the record. Leonard was a genius. To play one of his necks is a privilege.

Gibson/Montana shipped 69 J-50's in 1990. RAR is right. They were pretty much hand built. I knew the guy who did the final sanding on the necks. He had a spindel sander and he would sand them "by eye". To say they were inconsistent would be a kindness. What you got depended on how Leonard was feeling that day. Much has been written about the consistency of Gibson necks and since the era of CNC took over most of that has died down. Just for the record. Leonard was a genius. To play one of his necks is a privilege.

Hogeye,

Do you have production numbers from 1990 for all models? If so, how many J-200s were produced in 1990?

Thats pretty cool info!

Hogeye,

Do you have production numbers from 1990 for all models? If so, how many J-200s were produced in 1990?

Total of all colors---589. I have no production numbers just the right phone number... Don't ask.. Yes I do live in Bozeman.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived