Gibson Brands Forums

Why is the SWD such a 'heavy' guitar?

EuroAussie

I don't mean in tone but in actual weight?

My recent thread about debating the purchase of a J-45 got me thinking about weight, bracing and top vibrations of guitar.

Eminor7 made a great point that my 69 CW is quite heavily braced and doesn't have the same top vibration like a moderd J45 (true) and the J45 is also lighter which I like about the guitar.

Which made me wonder why is the SWD so darn heavy??

Is it the bracing, the rosewood b/s? It really is one of the heaviest dreads I've picked up, especially if you compare to the feather weight of a J-45.

Any ideas ??

Which made me wonder why is the SWD so darn heavy??

Any ideas ??

...Hmmmm,....god question especially since yours is a cutaway and there less material.

I must be the Rosewood Back & Sides which must be a denser wood, no?

:-k

I have to say though that one of the things that I really do enjoy about the SWD is how heavy in tone also is, in particular the bottom end. And I think the weight contributes to this.

To me its almost like the Les Paul of acoustics.

Playing power chords, fifths and so on is just a dream.

Anyone else feel that way?

I have to say though that one of the things that I really do enjoy about the SWD is how heavy in tone also is, in particular the bottom end. And I think the weight contributes to this.

To me its almost like the Les Paul of acoustics.

Playing power chords, fifths and so on is just a dream.

Anyone else feel that way?

I sold my Taylor 814ce that I had for 10 years for that reason. I recently played an AJ, J45, J200 Studio, D18, HD28 and none of them gave me the breadth of tone my SWD gives me. They all sounded good but the SWD is a much more open sound.

I agree with you on the sound. When I started looking for a better acoustic guitar, I was not sure what I wanted. I picked up my guitar used and when I strummed the first chord on this guitar I knew that I wanted it.

I have never noticed it as being a heavy guitar.

I could've sworn somebody already mentioned that if it has electronics, that could be it. But I don't see that post. I guess I dreamed it. Anyway, if it has a pickup...

That was probably on one of the other 3 posts [thumbup]

I don't know exactly why....my bet would be the weight of the particular rosewood back an sides. I've switched out the big gold grovers, which has made it a bit lighter. Don't think it is the bracing, which is supposed to be the advanced jumbo bracing, and my aj is one of the lightest dreads out there ( it is maple, not rw). Can't be the electronics...had many light guitars with the same set up from Bozeman.

The swd is a very heavy guitar....but it is very much the exception to my usual presumption that lighter is better (no basis at all for that presumption btw, it is just floating in my head for some reason when I pick up an acoustic). My swd can go toe to toe with any acoustic vie ever played.

Archived